Is this ok...?

I've lost 13 pounds in a week and a half.....I'm really not sure how this is happening! I've been eating all my calories (1600 a day) plus most of what I earn from exercising...so I've assumed I would just be losing 2 lbs a week, but every time I get on the scale (every other day) I see a 2 or 3 lb loss. could this just be because I have more to lose so it's dropping off quickly at first? I'm finding that I used to be eating 3x as much as I'm eating now, plus I'm eating slightly healthier foods. I'm also drinking only water and exercising once a day, usually for about 30 - 45 minutes. other than my structured exercise I'm pretty active around my house caring for two little ones and doing all kinds of housework. I just want to make sure I'm doing this the healthy way and not setting myself up for failure.

Replies

• I've lost 13 pounds in a week and a half.....I'm really not sure how this is happening! I've been eating all my calories (1600 a day) plus most of what I earn from exercising...so I've assumed I would just be losing 2 lbs a week, but every time I get on the scale (every other day) I see a 2 or 3 lb loss. could this just be because I have more to lose so it's dropping off quickly at first? I'm finding that I used to be eating 3x as much as I'm eating now, plus I'm eating slightly healthier foods. I'm also drinking only water and exercising once a day, usually for about 30 - 45 minutes. other than my structured exercise I'm pretty active around my house caring for two little ones and doing all kinds of housework. I just want to make sure I'm doing this the healthy way and not setting myself up for failure.
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    As long as you're doing it the RIGHT way (which it sounds you are) than I think it's probably okay, but it's always good to check with a Dr.
    Remember, none of us are Dr's! lol Not that I know of anyway?! lol
    I always saw those huge losses on "The Biggest Loser" and those people had a good amount to lose and so I figured it dropped off faster because they went from not exercising and over eating, so exercising for hours a day and eating much less.
    Didn't one guy lose 20 lbs one week?!
    Anyway- you sound like you are doing really good with all the changes!! :smile:
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    From what others have posted, initially you will lose weight more quickly. It was the same for me. Think of it as a Getting Started bonus. :smile:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    If you've cut out salty foods as part of your plan, you're likely loosing mostly water weight at first. I cleaned out a bag of Salt and Vinegar chips one weekend and my weight shot up over 3 lbs! It came off just as quickly two days later.

It sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to. If your weight loss doesn't slow down in a week or two, it might be wise to consult a nutritionist or GP.
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Hi there and thank you for your post.

I was worried about this as I really started watching my calories this week and I dropped 2 lbs in just 4 days. I was only trying for 1 lb. a week, so I got a little scared that I might be restricting my calorie intake to much. I adjusted my calories so I was still at a deficit, but not as great of one.

My worry was that I would have trouble down the line when I have to take off those last pounds and I need to increase my deficit amount.

I used this site http://www.revolutionhealth.com/calculators. They have a calculator to figure out how much our daily calorie needs are for the weight we currently at. Then I made some adjustments on my goals on this site so that I wasn't dropping so drastically.

I was having headaches and hungry very quickly after eating. I just made this adjustment yesterday and I am feeling much better today. I was really starting to feel weak and light headed. I was also worried about exercising in that state.

I was really excited that I dropped the weight and you have to be as well. We know the program works now, so we can relax a little and eat a little more or exercise a little less.

I think as long as you are feeling good, you are doing everything right. I may have just been to drastic when I first started.

Congratulations on your progress!

Connie Lynn:heart:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Many people experience quick loss at first. This is mostly caused from eatting healthier and moving more than your body is used to. It will start to level off, if not right away in a few weeks. Just set your mind to 1-2 lbs so when the scale starts to slow down you don't get distracted.

Great job getting started, keep up the hard work you are worth it!