Vegetarian cookbook suggestions?

Hi there!
I'm a pretty new vegetarian, and I'm also frugal and tired when it's time to cook, so I'm looking for a vegetarian cookbook with the following qualities:

A. Lists calories (and if the recipes are on MFP already, that's an added bonus!)
B. Has 7 ingredients or less
C. The recipes are fairly cheap and easy

I have a few good books already, particularly the Hungry Girl and Biggest Loser books, but I was wondering if there was one out there that was strictly vegetarian. I bought Appetite for Reduction, which is marketed as low-cal vegetarian recipes, and it is....but unfortunately a lot of the recipes are complicated and have like 45 ingredients. I'd appreciate the help!

Replies

• stefchica
    stefchica Posts: 257 Member
    i dont have any recipe books, i usualy look online then go from there,.....cheaper.. AND FREEE!!!

but if you want like hundreds of vegetarian recipes go to foodgawker.com type in vegetarian in the search...i'm warning you though, if you've never been to that site, AVOID IT AT ALL COSTS WHEN YOU ARE HUNGRY. otherwise, your eyes will get hte best of you and your wallet will kill you later!! hahaa
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Sorry I don't know any, apart from A4R, that list calories. However, The Kind Diet is a great book to get. Also check out www.fatfreevegan.com which does list nutritional info.
  • gentsevetzak
    gentsevetzak Posts: 147 Member
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764524836?ie=UTF8&tag=markbittmanco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeAS...

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food

This is the best basic vegetarian cookbook there is, tons of cheap recipes + you learn all the basics from preparing beans to making your own seitan, over here it costs 50 euros, 18 dollars is a complete bargain.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    The Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen. It doesn't reeaaallly fit the qualities you listed, but the delicious and beyond healthy recipes in there make up for it. I'll make something from it on the weekends and eat it all week. Otherwise, the foodgawker suggestion is great too! I love that site.
  • MrsCFldsRN
    MrsCFldsRN Posts: 5 Member
    I'm planning on purchasing a book called, "By any Greens Necessary". I don't remember the author's name.
  • Almiel
    Almiel Posts: 61 Member
    Check out fatfreevegan.com. It's my favorite as she has nutrition for most of her recipes. She has a tag called Ridiculously Easy, so click on that. Others post recipes on there too. Robin Robertson's recipes are awesome as well but she doesn't provide nutrition. She has 3 books that fit your other criteria: cheap and easy (Vegan on the Cheap, Quick Fix Vegetarian, One-Dish Vegetarian Meals). They are all on amazon.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/tag/ridiculously-easy
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    google "the vegetarian times", they have a vegetarian book called "eat great, lose weigth" that you can download for free. They have another one with vegetarian, healthier comfort foods.

hope that helps!
    Dani
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Subscribe to A Veggie Venture. The pictures are inspiring. The recipes feature in-season ingredients. The price is right (free).

http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/
  • bellawares
    bellawares Posts: 558 Member
    My absolute favorite cook book is The Happy Herbivore by Lindsay S. Nixon. Every recipe I have tried has been simple to make and delicious! :heart: I've had no problem adding the recipes to my MFP food diary. The only thing I have noticed is some of the calorie counts differ from what she has listed in her book to what MFP states once I create the recipe. I don't believe MFP is very accurate so I would tend to believe her calculations vs MFP. She also has a great website that has some of her recipes on it.

Her website is called Happy Herbivore. Here's the link if you want to check it out.

http://happyherbivore.com/
  • StruckBlue
    StruckBlue Posts: 3 Member
    I recommend a book by Gillian McKeith, an english author whose book is called "You are what you eat". She is not vegetarian but her recipes are very veg-friendly as there is very little meat in there. She is a big advocate of very healthy eating - particularly in cutting down on wheat - and talks at length about nutrition. I loved her approach and thought there were some good recipes in there.

You should be able to get it on Amazon.com. :happy:

Struckblue
  • French Vegetarian Cooking by Paola Gavin is filled with great, and mostly easy vegetarian recipes. While the book was published in the late 1990's it's easily found in used book stores or on-line.

- It does not list calories (how hard is it to calculate the calories from the ingredient list / divide by the number of servings and make a notation on the page for next time ?).

- Each recipe has a different ingredient list ... some more, some less than 7.

Also: Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian ... same as above for calories and ingredients.
  • jskaggs1971
    jskaggs1971 Posts: 371 Member
    Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Cookbook-Mollie-Katzen/dp/0898154901

I'm not a vegetarian, but there are a lot of delicious vegetarian recipes in there.

From the description:
    Among the most influential cookbooks of our time, the Moosewood Cookbook is such a powerful symbol that the publishers were tempted not to tamper with it. But times have changed, and knowledge about the foods we eat and their nutritional value has increased. So, after many inquiries and requests, the author has revised many of her recipes to be lighter and healthier. Illustrated.

Edit: Merb89 beat me to it, so take this as a second nomination for the Moosewood. Thre's a recipe in there for a casserole with brown rice, spinach, and sunflower seeds that is dynamite.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook: http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Cookbook-Mollie-Katzen/dp/0898154901

I'm not a vegetarian, but there are a lot of delicious vegetarian recipes in there.

From the description:
    Among the most influential cookbooks of our time, the Moosewood Cookbook is such a powerful symbol that the publishers were tempted not to tamper with it. But times have changed, and knowledge about the foods we eat and their nutritional value has increased. So, after many inquiries and requests, the author has revised many of her recipes to be lighter and healthier. Illustrated.

Edit: Merb89 beat me to it, so take this as a second nomination for the Moosewood. Thre's a recipe in there for a casserole with brown rice, spinach, and sunflower seeds that is dynamite.

Yep! that casserole is soooo good!
  • RachelT14
    RachelT14 Posts: 266 Member
    I am very fond of my student vegetarian cookbook, receipes using seasonal vegetables, lentils and beans. Not many ingredients, and not lengthy cooking times. Since money became tight i have come to rely on them more and more, they dont have the calory count but with few ingredients are easy to put into the receipe thingy on here and are very frugal.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764524836?ie=UTF8&tag=markbittmanco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeAS...

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian: Simple Meatless Recipes for Great Food

This is the best basic vegetarian cookbook there is, tons of cheap recipes + you learn all the basics from preparing beans to making your own seitan, over here it costs 50 euros, 18 dollars is a complete bargain.

I second this. This is my go to basic cookbook. I have learned so much from this book, I use so much from this book. It is awesome.
  • jmallis
    jmallis Posts: 1 Member
    Lai, I have a pretty awesome recipe that you would love that is super easy.

Get a cookie sheet and put it in the oven (with nothing on it) and heat it up at like 475 degrees for 20 mins.

Pick all the veggies you like, I usually do cauliflower, garlic, onion, mushrooms, brocolli, peppers... And coat olive oil and seasonings of your choice (like Old bay). As well as tempeh cut into triangles, also coated with olive oil and spices.

When the cookie sheet has heated, throw the veggies and tempeh on it, they will sizzle from the heat, put it back in the oven, flipping them as needed until they are roasted to your liking.

Serve with quinoa or brown rice.
  • lnhanson
    lnhanson Posts: 12 Member
    Yum. Thanks everyone~!
  • kylknight
    kylknight Posts: 1
    hey guys I'm definitely a newbie to this stuff and need a little bit of help. I'm trying to get more healthy in my life and my family's life but it's been tough. I'm looking for a healthy or vegan cookbook and I found this site http://www.squidoo.com/the-best-recipe-cookbook-ever-top-vegetarian-vegan-healthy-new-cookbook and I think the practical paleo: a customized approach to health by diane sanfillipo is something that i'm really interested in after reading some reviews. I was hoping some of you guys might have some experience with the book or suggestions for me. any help would be great!