Losing interest already...only been going 10 days!

Options
OK, so far I thought I was doing well, a little slip up but nothing major. I've been eating healthier, smaller portions, less junk. Been to the gym...

I'm due to be weighed on friday! Went round to a firends tonight and got on her scales in the bathroom. I'm exactly the same weight I was when I started 10 days ago! It' pretty demoralising considering my biggest slip up was a bite of chocolate cake! I know weight loss is a bit of a roller coaster but didn't expect to hit a stumbling block so quickly.

In all honesty I'm a little bit worried to tell my trainer, because I dont want him to think I am not taking this seriously of wasting his time. I confessed to the bite of chocolate cake and he said that it was ok and not to worry, but now that I've weighed myself I'm really disappointed.

Sorry if this seems like I'm making a big deal out of nothing but am feeling a bit down anyway and this has made me feel worse, just needed to vent!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Weigh in the morning. Not at night after you've been eating and drinking all day. It can make a big difference.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Also, use the same scale each time. The one at the gym may be different.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    Dont give up it took me around 3 years to gain the weight. So just be patient. K Dont give up on yourself.
  • dreamgurl2324
    dreamgurl2324 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i agree always in the morning after potty! naked! gets the best weigh in! i can range any where from 2-5 pounds heavier at night after eating all day. i'm sure your trainer wont be upset with you, You could always bring a printed version of your diary to him and ask for suggestions on making it better :)
  • russeljames
    russeljames Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Come on 10 days!!!!! Give it a month and it will be totally worth it... How long did it take you to put it on???
  • khartley535
    khartley535 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Also, I don't think I would want a trainer who doesn't understand that life happens, and that I feel like I have to "confess" my food "sins" to.
  • Misty1984
    Options
    ALWAYS WEIGH YOURSELF IN THE MORNING!! ALSO USE THE SAME SCALE EACH TIME!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Weight in in the morning after peeing makes a big difference. Its my ritual every tuesday,after peeing,after turning my coffee put on and after brushing my teeth... Then I weight in.

My weight in this am was 184.2 and now is 185.7!

oh and after exercising I will probably weight in at 186 if not more.....
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    10 days is not enough time and even if it were, you can't weigh on someone else's scale, those vary a lot. Weigh yourseslf on the same scale, same time of day, same day each week, but even that is not a good judge. If you are exercising after being sedentary, your muscles could be holding onto fluid.
    Just make manageable changes slowly to workout and diet and it will become more like a habit. It sounds like you are doing the right things, just try to manage your expectations.
  • Crissy_jo
    Crissy_jo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I agree with riverside: same scale and weigh first thing in the morning. You'll see less fluctuation that way. Now if you actually did not lose weight you might look at portion sizes. I tend to think my portions are smaller than they actually are. When I really pay attention (measure out my cereal and milk for example) I do much, much better. I had assumed my drinking glasses were 8 oz and 12 oz, I was off by 4 oz each. That adds up over a week if you are drinking things like milk. And I tend to retain water when I do any activity that causes my muscles to be sore, i.e. water weight gain. So I don't weigh myself if I have sore muscles. Anyway, just a couple of ideas, I'm sure there will be plenty more ideas that might help.
  • Holdra76
    Holdra76 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Scale is one thing, but how are you feeling 'upstairs?' How is your mood? Do you feel like you are a step ahead of everyone walking out of the gym? Or after doing a workout? That is what keeps me going. Just knowing you are choosing better and are intentionally exercising is huge. I stayed the same weight for 3 weeks, I feel your pain. But it will come, and by golly my clothes are fitting way better so I tend to use that as my indicator on how well I am doing.
    Hang in there, it will pay off sooner than you think!!!!
  • moxette
    moxette Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hmm so whats the option... Giving up? If it was easy everyone would do it. You have to want it and it is worth it. Okay enough with the tough love.
    Remember you probably didn't gain 2 - 4 pounds every week before you decided to become healthy, so hoping to lose 2-4 pounds a week in a way that is long lasting and achievable isn't realistic. It isn't fair to your trainer or yourself to have unrealistic expectations. Be honest with yourself and your trainer, if you are at it for a month and still no change then you change what you are doing. Your trainer can help you with that. Good luck. You are WORTH IT!
    Don't give up the most for what you want right now."
  • lisamarie124
    Options
    Its only tuesday...give ur body time to let go of the bad and react to the good....weighing youself at night is never good cuz uve been eating and drinking all day....weigh in the morning b4 u eat or drink anything and after u use the bathroom....and only use ur scale cuz that there can account for a 2lb difference....be patient....and focus on being healthy and u will lose the weigh eventually...
  • kerrylou45
    kerrylou45 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been going for about 40 days now and have 'fallen of the wagon' about four times!! I have mangaed to pick myself up and with some advice and support from my MFP friends I have got going again. I have lost 8lbs now and if anything I feel like I'm losing to fast now. I want to do it slowly so I can learn and not go back to where I was. You have to constently remind yourself of why you are doing this, where you want to be and how you are going to get there. Keep pushing yourself and gives yourself a kick in the pants every now and then and I'm sure you will be fine!!! All the best!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS WEIGH YOURSELF IN THE MORNING!! ALSO USE THE SAME SCALE EACH TIME!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

^^ this ^^ first, weight fluctuates throughout the day. its best to weigh yourself first thing in the morning after the bathroom and before you eat anything for the most consistent reading. second, not all scales are calibrated the same...or stay calibrated. scale to scale can vary quite a bit.

also, if you're new to exercise (you mentioned having a trainer), that can cause you to hold onto weight at the beginning (water retention issues). 10 days is much too quickly to give up on the lifestyle you hope to live. speaking of which, have you written down the things you hate about your current lifestyle? if not, check out my will power blog below and do that activity. it should help you stay focused.

finally, yes, there is some trial and error in all of this. its rare that folks lose weight every week of the journey. even though the basic concept of MFP works (i.e., caloric deficit), the reality is that for some body types, some tweaks help (i.e., amount of exercise; type of exercise; whether your body responds well to processed foods/sodium; whether your body responds well to breads and starches). it takes time...more than 10 days...to figure all of this out. however, if you have powerful enough reasons for leaving your current lifestyle, you will figure it out and you will achieve your goals.

good luck to you.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    i'll be bluntly honest and I hope to motivate you rather than spurn you...

If you are giving up now, you need to look at a friend, significant other, co-worker, anyone close and tell them to kick you in the *kitten*.

The human body is always in constant change. some days up, some days down...and more so with the female anotomy. Reset your brain. Ask yourself, WHAT DO I WANT with fitness and myself? And be honest.

Dont look at "giving up" as a failure. It's flat out an excuse. You either want this, or you dont. I truly hope you DO!!! And if you need some support, I will be here to help. This is about a choice for you...to be healthier or not to be. What is your choice?

IF YOU WANT IT...GET IT. No Excuses. No trying...only DOING. There are no magic bullets to being heathier.
  • audraabel
    Options
  • lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, like a few people posted on here weigh yourself in the morning. Good Luck & keep us posted and if you'd like add me!