here's a crazy thought: me running!

Options
I have decided to start running! :noway:

How should I go about starting? How long for etc? I'm not that fit, I'm 18, female, weight 62kg or 136lbs
and 160cm or 5"2. I have good running shoes. I live in an area full of hills. I'm not sure what else to write! So? Any tips?

Replies

• marshall153
    marshall153 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I have decided to start running! :noway:

How should I go about starting? How long for etc? I'm not that fit, I'm 18, female, weight 62kg or 136lbs
    and 160cm or 5"2. I have good running shoes. I live in an area full of hills. I'm not sure what else to write! So? Any tips?
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Take it slow. Don't rush it. Remember to stretch and drink lots of water. Hydration is key!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? If it is cold where you are, I would suggest a treadmill or waiting until it is warmer.
  • Cerabell18
    Options
    I would suggest starting out by running for 2-3 minutes, then walking for 2-3 minutes (alternating) for 30 minutes 3 times a week, giving yourself 1 day between each run. Each week, add a little more to your running times and take away from your walking times until you reach running solid for 30 minutes. Doing this will help ease you into running without putting too much stress on your body.

A site you may want to look into is coolrunning.com They offer a couch to 5K program which will help you start running. It is free and the site offers a lot of great information.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is great for a beginner. And like Cerabell said the site has alot of good info for starting out.
  • banfathi99
    banfathi99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Cerabell definitely has it right. I started that way two years ago and have been running ever since. I would hold off on hills for a while. What I would recommend looking for local running stores. They often have beginner clinics that will allow you to hook up with people to run with who are also just starting and teach you how to do start properly. The others in the group are also a wonderful source of inspiration and help to keep you motivated.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Where do you live? If it is cold where you are, I would suggest a treadmill or waiting until it is warmer.

This runner is and Aussie, thinkin its not too cold over there this time of year...

GO GREEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wish I still had my book that I had about running strategies for beginners. I got it at Borders and I ....ahem...didn't use it much :blushing: , if at all, but it spelled out a formula to use for new runners.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Google "Beginning running" You will find lots of different plans to get you started. I did this last spring and found a wealth of information. I made my own plan, that was slower because I am still pretty large, and it was working well until I got derailed by health issues.