Forum post removed - too explicit?

Options
homerjspartan
homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
I find myself commenting every once in a while, usually to add my 2 cents or try to make someone laugh (good God, we all need that).

Yesterday I chimed in on a funny topic, and I admit it was a little on the adult side, but the topic wasn't about clubbing nuns over the head with baby seals (which I try never to do) or anything else overly offensive (maybe I am just underly sensitive, see earlier comment about nuns).

My question is, after this rambling start, are topics removed by staff on their own, or does someone formally have to complain? Is this happening a lot? I understand if someone is threatening, bullying, insulting, etc... but just funny conversations that may contain a little it of adult humor?

Are people really writing the MFP staff - "Today I read that people are clubbing nuns with baby seals. This is not appropriate. We all know that seals need to be of a mature age prior to the clobbering of clergy. Please remove this subject."

Just curious.

Replies

• XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options
    I've wondered the same thing. Also about how if your under 18 you can't join but we can't talk like were older then 13. If everyone on this site is over 18 like they should be we shouldn't be limited to talking like 13 year olds. Ignore all those spelling fails. Also dear mods, I'm not going against your rules or protesting them. I'm just curious.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    As someone who has gotten a thread removed once or twice, ok, ok, about 15 times, it is a combination of someone reporting the thread or mods who police the forums seeing it and removing it.

There are quite a few people on MFP who do not believe that anything with adult content should be on this site. Unfortunately, we can't remove all the sticks from their *kitten*, so occasionally, er a lot, they get threads locked and removed.

The mods, I will say, specifically you Steven, are just doing their jobs.

Groups should alleviate this problem to some degree, or so I've been told.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i find your post funny!

i wonder this too. i understand that people find things offensive but seriously sometimes you just gotta have a laugh!

i appreciate humor.
  • XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options
    i find your post funny!

i wonder this too. i understand that people find things offensive but seriously sometimes you just gotta have a laugh!

i appreciate humor.
    Humor on this site is like bacon from a duck. It doesn't exist. lol
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    michael-jackson-eating-popcorn.gif
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    As someone who has gotten a thread removed once or twice, ok, ok, about 15 times, it is a combination of someone reporting the thread or mods who police the forums seeing it and removing it.

There are quite a few people on MFP who do not believe that anything with adult content should be on this site. Unfortunately, we can't remove all the sticks from their *kitten*, so occasionally, er a lot, they get threads locked and removed.

The mods, I will say, specifically you Steven, are just doing their jobs.

Groups should alleviate this problem to some degree, or so I've been told.

hmm yes you should not have any adult coversation on a site limited to 18 and older
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    clubbing nuns over the head with baby seals

ahhhh saturday night....good times...good times
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Can I join the "appreciates humor" group wherever it is? :P It makes me sad when funnies get deleted.
  • JustEllieK
    JustEllieK Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I find myself commenting every once in a while, usually to add my 2 cents or try to make someone laugh (good God, we all need that).

Yesterday I chimed in on a funny topic, and I admit it was a little on the adult side, but the topic wasn't about clubbing nuns over the head with baby seals (which I try never to do) or anything else overly offensive (maybe I am just underly sensitive, see earlier comment about nuns).

My question is, after this rambling start, are topics removed by staff on their own, or does someone formally have to complain? Is this happening a lot? I understand if someone is threatening, bullying, insulting, etc... but just funny conversations that may contain a little it of adult humor?

Are people really writing the MFP staff - "Today I read that people are clubbing nuns with baby seals. This is not appropriate. We all know that seals need to be of a mature age prior to the clobbering of clergy. Please remove this subject."

Just curious.

AH!!! FINALLY someone with some humor on here! I like you!
  • XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options

Just curious.

AH!!! FINALLY someone with some humor on here! I like you!
    No humor is not allowed on this site :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Will you share your popcorn Carl? I'm ready for the show to begin.
  • Uerzer
    Uerzer Posts: 273
    Options

569__seal-of-approval.jpg?1256695294
  • XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options

569__seal-of-approval.jpg?1256695294

:laugh: :laugh:
  • ScotsLenny
    ScotsLenny Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    obviously there were no big sticks so they used the nearest thing to hand to clobber em with
  • XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options
    mfp is all about this serious stuff right here http://www.youtube.com/user/UberHaxorNova#p/u/11/uaHtxUjDQzs
  • CastleMadeOfSand
    CastleMadeOfSand Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    While I appreciate the sentiment and should probably throw in my "damn the man" two cents--this is truth:

if you give masses an inch, they'll take a yard. We all know this, and if you recognize you may be in that group too, you'll have achieved self awareness today. Congrats.
  • XxXskinnyMiniXxX
    Options
    mfp is all about this serious stuff right here http://www.youtube.com/user/UberHaxorNova#p/u/11/uaHtxUjDQzs
    That video is totally serious btw and not funny in anyway.
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Will you share your popcorn Carl? I'm ready for the show to begin.

SNF2128F-682_1089444a.jpg

Btw...even though this looks gay it isn`t.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    The following rules have been established to help maintain a civil and friendly environment, allowing everyone to enjoy the discussions found here.

Please read this post completely in order to prevent any potential rules violations.

FORUM RULES

1) No advertising or self-promotion. You may not post advertisements for other services, websites, etc. which intend to sell products or services for monetary gain. Any such links will be removed at moderator discretion without warning and could result in your posting privileges being revoked. You also may not make any posts from which you might financially benefit, i.e. "message me for more info", "I can get you free samples", "visit my site for more info", etc.

2) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products, are considered inappropriate and will be removed without warning. This rule has been created to protect members from multi-level marketing schemes or other hidden sales tactics which are strictly prohibited on this site.

3) Posts or messages to members promoting websites that compete with MyFitnessPal are also prohibited.

4) Do not attack/slam/insult other users. The forums are here so that members can help support one another. Attacks or insults against each other takes away from the supportive atmosphere and will not be tolerated. You can discuss the message or topic, but not the messenger - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, YOU will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself, defending a friend, etc. are NOT excuses. Violations of this rule are taken very seriously and may result in being banned without warning! If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

5) Topics which are started with the intent to denigrate, belittle, or disparage another MyFitnessPal member, either directly named or through enough descriptive commentary to be possibly identified, are prohibited. Such topics will be instantly deleted and may result in the banning of the original poster. This includes following another poster around in the forums, posting about past events gone sour, divulging personal information, spreading gossip or rumors, posting email exchanges between users, etc. Keep the drama off the forums!

6) Do not post an email or mail message from any other MyFitnessPal user or moderator on the forums at any time.

7) No explicit, sexual, offensive, insulting or vulgar content or language. This includes any explicit or "risque" images. The MyFitnessPal forums are rated PG-13.

8) No derogatory or offensive references to sex, gender, ethnicity, religions, or sexual orientation.

9) For your safety, do not post personal information such as telephone numbers, emails, mailing addresses, instant messenger ids, etc

10) Do not post messages that violate federal, state/provincial, or local laws which include, but are not limited to, anything that violates a copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or is bound by NDA (non-disclosure agreement)

11) If you have concerns about another poster or wish to report a rule violation, the ONLY appropriate venue is to use the Report Post feature or to message me. You may NOT air such concerns on the message boards themselves. If you have a general concern that does not involve a specific member, you may post your question in a civil manner in the "Feedback" or "Help" forums.

12) We reserve the right to disable the posting privileges of any member for any reason at our discretion without warning or notice.

13) Topics about politics, religion, atheism, or sexuality are not allowed and will be deleted. This includes posting images or signatures. Unfortunately, we have seen that topics about any of these subjects are highly likely to result in heated arguments and disputes. If you really wish to discuss either of these topics, please google political forums, religious forums, etc. - there are plenty of other places to express your views.

14) Creating a second account for the purposes of deceiving other members is not permitted. If you don't feel comfortable posting something under your own account, then you shouldn't be posting it. You also may not create a second account in order to try to work around a forum suspension - if you do so, you will be banned from the site permanently.

15) Protesting a moderator or admin action is not allowed on the forums at any time. Anyone that creates or participates in a protest topic, outlines any protest in their profile, posts any negative commentary with regards to moderation or administration, or discusses emails/actions between moderators/admins and themselves in their profiles or in the forums will have their posting privileges suspended or may even be permanently banned from the site. The forums or other public venues are not the appropriate place to lodge a complaint. If you have a question or concern about a moderator or admin action, you should email one of the moderators or an admin with your concern and we will investigate the matter promptly.

16) Requests or solicitations for donations are also not allowed. As you can imagine, we have a lot of people who would like to raise money for worthy causes through the site. As much as we'd like to support these causes, if we were to allow requests for donations, the forums would quickly become full of such requests which would take away from the main purpose of the forums - to support one another.

17) Please stay on-topic, and help us make our forums a "No Hijacking" zone. Users come to MyFitnessPal for support and encouragement. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are discouraging and disrespectful, and will be deleted. Repeated offense may result in revocation of posting privileges. Please either contribute positively to a thread, or move on without posting.

18) No pro-anorexia or pro-bulimia posts. This includes signatures, profile names, and profile bylines. Eating Disorders are medical conditions requiring professional medical attention. MyFitnessPal does not permit the endorsement of any ED behavior, and strongly recommends that anyone suffering from the symptoms of Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia, or Compulsive eating make use of the resources offered by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders. You may reach the ANAD hotline by phone in the US: 847-831-3438 (Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, Central Time) or on the web at http://www.anad.org/site/anadweb/

In order to facilitate moderation of these rules, posts in the public forums must be made in English.

Thanks for your cooperation and I hope you are enjoying the site!
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    Options
    While I appreciate the sentiment and should probably throw in my "damn the man" two cents--this is truth:

if you give masses an inch, they'll take a yard. We all know this, and if you recognize you may be in that group too, you'll have achieved self awareness today. Congrats.

And sometimes when given an inch, that's really all you get, and then you don't return his calls and it gets awkward.....