Faster or further?

Options
I have reached a point where I can turn in a <30 minute 5k, five or six days a week, week in and week out, in addition to my time on the weights each day.

What makes more sense? Farther? Faster? Some of both? I guess I could make arguments for each and I don't feel strongly, though I lean toward doing a bit of both. Any upside? Downside?

Thanks!

Replies

• pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    I'm no expert runner, but since I have started, and since I am working on a half marathon program right now, I am working on both. I obviously decided to go for distance, but I am trying on my shorter runs to improve time as well. So far it seems good, and the speed work I do seems to help with my distance.
  • msfitmom
    msfitmom Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I recommend concentrating on one thing at a time.

If you want to do a faster 5K, make that your goal. If you want to run longer, then make that your goal. Then train accordingly.

You're developing different sets of muscles for each type of task. Distance running develops slow twitch muscles, speedwork fast twitch.

It may come down to time -do you have time to run longer 6 days a week? Or do you just about have 30 minutes to work out?

My recommendation? If you don't feel strongly one way or the other, do some cross training. Cycling, swimming, etc. Something that will help you build up your endurance and will give your legs a break from the constant pounding. It will make you a better runner and you may decide that say, you want to do a triathlon and so your goal would be to run a faster 5K since I'd presume you'd start with a mini tri.

My personal opinion and my path was to pursue distance running, get good at that, and then go faster. Currently I'm trying to get faster at the marathon distance and that's really difficult. But it took me a long time to get to this point.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What makes more sense? Depends on your goals.

Running faster makes you better at running faster, but not necessarily running further. It feels pretty awesome to be able to run fast. Personally I add speedwork into my running training plan just to break up the monotony. It's good for increasing your VO2 and lactic threshold (running farther may also be good for these, depending on your HR).

Running farther makes sense if you want to run longer races, but it won't necessarily have a positive impact on your speed. Do it if you like it. I burn more calories on my long runs than the short, but jeez it feels like I'm trudging along sometimes.

The only downside might be overtraining. Speedwork tends to bring out what ails me, but that's a form/postural problem.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I think it depends on your goals.
    You can work on speed while training for distance. At least, I have. I run 4 days a week.
    I do one easy run a week (3 miles at a comfortable pace). I do a tempo run and then a speed work run. On the weekend I do a long run.
    I've been in half marathon training mode all year long (just ran my 3rd half for the year) so my running workouts work well for me and my current goals.

Just evaluate your goals and go from there. I do not think there is a right or wrong answer.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Further for sure. Speed will come naturally as you increase your endurance.