METFORMIN

Options
I've been taking Metformin for a month now. I was told by my doctor that it's supposed to increase metabolism, and can help with weight loss. It's a Diabetes drug, and I am not diabetic nor am I pre-diabetic, but he thought it would help me drop a few extra pounds since I have a really hard time losing weight, possibly due to some kind of insulin resistance. However, since I started taking it, I have had the most ridiculous appetite. I feel like I'm never satisfied. I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't lost any either. And I'm sure I have this monstorous appetite because my metabolism is increased. So my question to the MFP world is how do I get this appetite under control? And have any of you taken Metformin and experienced this same thing? Please share! Any help would be appreciated!!

Replies

• mochaphobic
    mochaphobic Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been on metformin for over a year now and at first I was more hungry but it only lasted a couple days. I do take it for pre-diabetes and my blood sugar numbers are better but my periods got way heavier.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i took it for about 7 months for insulin resistance, its not magic or anything lol id never heard of it Increasing metabolism.......it does however help people that do produce too much insulin lose weight because the more insulin you produce the more your body feels the need to eat to satisfy the insulin it created which is why metformin helps decrease appitete for people with insulin problems but to the point of being a "normal person" so you can lose like a normal person would.... (im unsure how it could possibly be an insulin problem? simple blood test) which they should do before putting you on medication.....