any subsitute to replace sauerkraut?

Options
I loves sauerkruat! I also love meat too.. Most days, I have same sandwich but alas, sauerkruat needs to go on my no-no list because 1/4 cup of sauerkraunt has 2,000 sodium! Calories wise, sauerkraunt has very low calories BUT, when it comes to sodium, heaven help me...........

Please see my usual lunch,, and please no bashing, I only want some yummy ideas that I can use to replace sauerkraut.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/spottedlee/lunch2.gif
I can't get picture small enough to post here so please go to the link to see my usual lunch.

Replies

• mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    You could make your own sauerkraut. Cabbage and salt in an airtight container for 30 days, voila!
  • laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Your diary is locked. You need to open it up for us to check it out.

6143704.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • therealkittymao
    therealkittymao Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This might be weird, but... maybe making it yourself will make it less salty? There is still salt in the recipe of course, but I bet it's not as much as if you buy it in grocery stores. This website has a recipe for how to make it...

http://www.wildfermentation.com/resources.php?page=sauerkraut

I kinda want to try it myself, now!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    How about trying an on line recipe for home made sauerkraut and cut the salt. Or maybe look up a low sodium recipe...there must be something out there! Maybe you could just saute cabbage in a pan, then add some vinegar.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Try Bubbies brand. They make prganic kosher dill pickles, sauerkraut etc. I think it's only 230 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup.

it's really good...I think they have a pretty good website with their product listings too.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just make it "regular" pastrami sandwich and add some tomato, lettuce, and maybe a little pickle instead of just the sauerkraut?
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    You could make your own sauerkraut. Cabbage and salt in an airtight container for 30 days, voila!
    It's salt that she wants to get rid of...but thanks for the tip, I might try that for myself...but what about the vinegar?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options

6143704.png

They posted a link in their post with a picture of their diary...No need to look at their actual one.
  • balancebean
    balancebean Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I love Mt. Olive Sugar Free Sweet Baby Gherkins. They are not "low sodium," but are lower in salt
  • spottedlee
    Options

6143704.png

I provided the URL for my lunch in first post
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    what about roasted or sauteed slaw mix.. or you could try rinsing regular kraut to get some of the salt off
  • spottedlee
    Options
    It's salt that she wants to get rid of...but thanks for the tip, I might try that for myself...but what about the vinegar?

I checked,, vinager has ZERO sodium while one cup chopped cabbage has 16mg. 1/4 cup is 4mg, so that is 1,996mg reduction there!

This is really something,, I can cook therefore, I can make! Thank you all for the idea! Now I can go back to my favorite sandwich soon. Meanwhile, while it is being "brewed", I'll look for other sandwich.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think you need to look at other brands. I'm not finding any that are anywhere near 2000mg of sodium for 1/4 cup.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    And 16 TBSP isn't 1/4 cup, it's 1 cup. So according to your entry, 1 cup has 2000mg.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Try Bubbies brand. They make prganic kosher dill pickles, sauerkraut etc. I think it's only 230 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup.

it's really good...I think they have a pretty good website with their product listings too.

that is very low compared to what I have,, thank you.. I will check it out.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    And 16 TBSP isn't 1/4 cup, it's 1 cup. So according to your entry, 1 cup has 2000mg.

OMG, i really screw up big time! Let me go fix it and be 1,500 less! Thank you for catching it!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    now that 500mg is such a pretty number,, isn't it?

Thank you sun33082 for catching my error. Now I feel so much better. :bigsmile:
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Polka brand sauerkraut only has 90 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup, and it is tasty. I buy it in a little shop where I live, so I am not sure what retail chains might carry it.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    I agree, try rinsing it, or sauteeing cabbage and add vinegar. If not, maybe try a different brand or use a little less and drink lots of water!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    Polka brand sauerkraut only has 90 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup, and it is tasty. I buy it in a little shop where I live, so I am not sure what retail chains might carry it.
    I will definally look for it. Thank you!