WEIGHT LOST... BUT BODY FAT % HAS GONE UP?????

Options
I'm confused.. I've been working my *kitten* off and now I just feel so effing frustrated. Can someone please explain this to me?

UPDATE: I went to sign up at LA Fitness.. they did a fit test and that's what happened...

Replies

• Guerita83
    Options
    I hear ya!! I had the same problem!! Like to read what others think....
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    best GUESS:

lost some muscle mass. just a gues though.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Are you using a Tanita bathroom scale? Stop listening to that thing and look at your clothes. OR get some calipers.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your body fat, and how much are you eating?

It's possible (not probable) that you may have lost some muscle mass if you're undereating too drastically and/or not working out at all. This would result in a loss of weight and lean mass % along with body fat %. They have to add up to 100%, so if your lean mass % decreases, your fat mass % will increase.

It's more likely that the measurement system is faulty and has inherent errors.
  • Bellyroll
    Options
    Maybe you should consider more weights into your workout.
  • ChristopherOren
    Options
    Actually repeated weight loss AKA seesawing usually has these results. As you lose weight, you lose muscle mass and fat. When you regain the weight it is usually comprised of fat mass not muscle mass especially if you are not performing muscle building activities.

So, over the long term you tend to lose more muscle mass versus fat and you can indeed see this happen.
  • naturaljules
    Options
    I had this happen two weeks ago, I lost 7lbs in a week but put on 0.1% body fat, sucks aye?? I don't know what makes it change. You'll get there though..
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense to me. Since there's no possible way to lose 7# of fat in a week, some of the weight lost was water, some muscle and some fat. If you lost more water and muscle combined than fat, the percentage of fat in your body will be more. Simple math.

Whenever you lose weight, you will lose water/muscle/fat. However, the faster you lose, the more of it will be muscle. And you really don't want to lose that. Better to lose more slowly and maintain the muscle as much as possible.