Any Triathletes, Cyclist, Runners or Swimmers

Options
During my weight lost journey I decided to do something with my exercise. I had always wanted to do Triathlons. I set that as my goal, after losing 80 LBS and lots of training I entered my first Sprint Triathlon which consisted of a 750 meter swim, 20K Bike and 5K Run. It took me 1hr 49min. I've done several since bettered my times and next week I will be doing my first Olympic which is double the length of the Sprint. I'm having a blast.

Like to hear from others who have started racing in any sport and those considering it.

Replies

• engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i'm registered for a sprint tri in june. can't wait. might b signing up for a few more next year too!
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Good deal, you'll love it and find the other triathletes are supportive no matter what level they are at.
  • paper_doll_
    Options
    I discovered a love of running when I lost my 200(ish)lbs. I don't know if it was just I have never moved fast before without a motorised vehicle, the endorphins or if I just like the actual act of running..

I was previously doing the C25K program, had an injury that interfered with that, but am getting back into it now.

Want to do a 5km next season to start off, then work up to 10km and then a half marathon. I expect the Half marathon won't be happening for me for a couple of seasons at least, but it is something I aspire to.

Triathlon is also something I am interested in, but my swimming was always weak so doubted my ability to finish the swim leg.. Was also a cyclist in my youth, so I assume that would be my strongest leg, but who knows.. maybe running will turn out to be my forte.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    My son is a nationally ranked triathlete (does that count)?

Me, well I'm a triathlete wanna be. Not sure I'll ever compete because I'm not excited about open water swimming or pounding (I mean running), but I've got a long way to go before I need to decide.

I currently swim a lot (in a heated pool) at the YMCA. All three of my boys competitively swim and I think swimming is the best exercise there is.

I just started cycling (so far I've procured a bike and a helmet and have gone out seven times). Cycling is scary for me, but I'm getting the hang of it and have already improved quite a bit.

I started my journey walking and now sometimes I jog a little when I walk.

So at the moment, I swim / bike / walk, lol. I really need to be a lot lighter before I run (given that every pound on you is six pounds on your joints when running).

CONGRATS ON COMPLETING YOUR SPRINT TRI and on 80 lbs less of you !!! I do know how tough that is and I hope you had fun. Are you on a team (team in training or something)? That helps a lot. Don't know how folks do it alone.

Keep living your dream!!!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Awesome work! I plan to run my first half marathon next year.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Doing a triathlon is my secret dream. I don't swim very well but can swim non stop for about 30 minutes...real slow though. I love cycling but am afraid of cars. At least i can run. Completed my first half in September. Maybe next year i will take the plunge into triathlon.
  • kelownafred
    Options
    Congrats on your triathlons! There are few sports that compare in order to achieve fitness goals. I began running and doing trys about 10 years ago and it changed my life. I was around 220 lbs (5' 8") very unfit and drinking way too many beers. Two years ago I did my second Ironman (Penticton) I weighed in at 178 lbs and was in the best shape of my then 48 years. Unfortunatelly I developed achiles tendonitis shortly after and had to stop running. I also lost my motivation to stay fit... which I could have done by cycling or swimming. So now... two years later I was shocked to see the scales tell me I weighed 211lbs! I still have terrible pain in my heels but I am determined to run or bike at least 4 times a week and watch my calorie intake better. This site seems very good and I love the Android app that allows me to input info at any time. I may not do another Ironman but I will get fit again!!

Best of luck in your Olympic!!
  • batlou
    batlou Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K in 2008 and built from Sprints in the first year to Olympic the next and this year finished my first Half IronMan. Still contemplating doing a full next year. The jump from Sprint to Olympic was not big but Half turned out to be much more of an undertaking than I figured it would be. The time commitment to train for a full is over the top and I have to get the entire family on board first.

Would love to hear stories after your first Olympic. It is so much fun training and competing in these race. Good luck
  • fiftyandfit
    fiftyandfit Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

My husband and I decided to start training for a Sprint Tri next year after
    watching The Ironman and seeing people a lot older than us competing!
    How could we stay on the couch??? :tongue:

I may not finish first, but my goal is just to finish!

Pam
  • kbwdad
    kbwdad Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back on and reading all the replies is a hugh inspriration. All of us triathletes that are not great swimmers have reservations. Don't let that hold you back, the beauty of triathlons, 5k to marathons and bicycling events is that they are individual sports, you're racing against the clock and mostly yourself. After you do a few you can start setting your sights to compete against others. Finishing is the goal not who you beat, but their is some satifaction in coming ahead of others.

I was asked if I belonged to a club, no I don't and I do most of my training alone and must admit it can get boring, however I have a couple of friends and when our schedules allow it we train together which is a great benefit.

I say use your exercise time to work out for something you want to or are dreaming to do. Sign up for that Tri, 5K, marathon, swimming or cycling event. Once you sign up, you're committed and more likely to meet your goal. Don't worry about having the best equipment, use what you have and if you want to continue then look into investing newer gear.

Most of all do it and have fun. Like I said all of you are an inspriration. Thanks.
  • fleaglebeagle
    Options
    More of a long distance swimmer myself.... which overlaps into "TRI-land" - hence I am a member of my local tri club this year... Just for the swimming. And they seem a friendly bunch so far. Then again... anyone jumping in 12 degrees water has to be a little fun loving.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first half-marathon when I started my weight loss about 3 years ago. It was a goal that I could use to push myself. I complete a few of those and then a full-marathon before I decided to try a tri. I have to say that I enjoyed the tri a lot. My first one was an olympic distance. I'm not one to start out small. I have to say that the tri hurt a lot less than the marathon! I love seeing everyone on here!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Im a runner and considering looking into Tri's once I ran the marathon next April,
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at Sprint Tris for next summer - just did my first 1/2 a few weeks ago and thought a WO change would keep things interesting.

For those that have done it some questions.....

1) What sort of investment did you make into your bike? (Mine is a cheap Target bike)

2) Where get your swim time in? All the gyms around here are out of my price range, and honestly I'm a gym flunkey.

3) What's your training schedule like?

TIA!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I run. My last race was a 9 mile off road race which nearly killed me! I would love to get into triathlon, but I really don't like swimming. I am looking into doing a bike/run race.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I run, I've done 14 1/2 marathons and 3 fulls so far but would LOVE to do a triathlon. I'm not a strong swimmer and swimming in open water makes me nervous. I'd also be interested in what your training schedule is like. All the best to you!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at Sprint Tris for next summer - just did my first 1/2 a few weeks ago and thought a WO change would keep things interesting.

For those that have done it some questions.....

1) What sort of investment did you make into your bike? (Mine is a cheap Target bike)

I got my bike at Performance Bikes. I'm not sure if it is a national chain, but it was pretty cheap ($800). The biggest thing with the bike is the fit. You need to make sure the bike fits you (just like you would with shoes). Most bike shops can help you with this. When you want to go longer distances (i.e., not sprint tris) this will become very important because your butt will hurt like a mofo after anything more than 15 miles.

2) Where get your swim time in? All the gyms around here are out of my price range, and honestly I'm a gym flunkey.

I swim at the YMCA. I also joined a training program through the leukemia society that allowed me to swim at our local pool for free. That pool also would allow anyone in the public to swim for $5.

For an olympic distance tri -
    Training is hard to describe in the little of a space. Briefly - M - Swim; T - Bike (spin in the winter to make sure I didn't get hurt); W - Run; R - Swim; F - Rest; Sat - Brick (bike then run); Sun - run/cross train

I would add milage slowly every week. My swims started at 800m and increased to 2500m. Bike started at 5 miles and increased to 35. Runs started at 2 miles and increased to 10.

TIA!!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm a biker at heart, but also run and swim so that I can tri. Did my first Olympic this summer, shooting for a half ironman next summer.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    More than you want to know... but I'm a cyclist at heart.

But all you really need is something reliable. I'd rather have a decent used bike from Craigslist and the ability to change a flat tire than a $5000 tri bike that leaves me stranded because I can't fix a flat or a dropped chain or whatever else.

Generally at the gym. A fellow tri club member lives on a small lake and has the club over for swims from time to time, so I get some OWS in there.

As much as I can whenever I can. I'm a single father so I can't train as much as I'd like to. I generally get in a bike/run brick once a week with the local tri club, a long something on the weekend (or a serious brick workout), then fit in shorter runs and swims during the week when I can (before work, lunch breaks, while the kids are at practice, etc).

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Swimmer here-- and increasing cyclist. . . but my bipedal transit is limited to walking, not running. One year with a masters swim club led me to the conclusion that I love workouts but hate competitions.

Check out the thread, "November Iron Man Challenge" for additional like minded souls!