Running on the verge of a cold

Options
I'll be participating in the Hot Chocolate 5k this Saturday and trying my hardest not to catch the cold that's been going through my office, not to mention a nasty one from my room mate. I'm avoiding taking any meds right now since I notice my colds come on faster once I start on any of them. I'm pretty much just pumping myself with tea right now. I'm determined not to miss the 5k. Has anyone participated in a race while under the weather? Any suggestions?

Replies

• ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I did. Last weekend. I was unable to run all week and made myself do it. I killed it and blew my PR wide open! Placed 2nd in my Age Group. :-)

Rest between now and then and lots of liquids. Go do it!
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Ran in a 5K with an extreme fever (nearly passed out at the starting line). Ooops. lol
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I got sick last week and I have a marathon this weekend. I downed Zinc and tons of fluids. Yes, lots of rest. You'll be fine with that 5k! It's going to be great.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Think positive, have some chicken broth (It really works!), keep hydrated and say a prayer!! :D
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did. Last weekend. I was unable to run all week and made myself do it. I killed it and blew my PR wide open! Placed 2nd in my Age Group. :-)

Rest between now and then and lots of liquids. Go do it!

WOW, that's awesome!! Congrats on placing 2nd! I'm planning on getting a good playlist together and just enjoying my stride. I don't think I'll reach any top place in just my second race, but I'm hoping to get a better time that my first.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and suggestions! No problem getting the fluids in. And the chicken broth is good too. I've actually been on a soup kick this week. lol Good thing!
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I've found that if I run with a cold, my head will clear up during the run and stay cleared fr a few hours afterward. You just need to push yourself to start running while feeling lousy.
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612
    Options
    Drink lots of water. Get lots of rest. I use Olive Leaf Extract to fight off colds...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_leaf

Good luck!
  • Michaela722
    Options
    Ran a half marathon last year with a terrible head cold...still PR'ed. Sick as a dog right now and running another 1/2 on Saturday - hoping to PR again. Rest and fluids and you'll be fine.