late night snacking??

Options
i've heard it is bad to eat past 8pm or at night because your body holds onto the calories more or things like that but does anyone know the truth about eating late/ on the later side? or helpful tips to not snack at night? im in college so its super hard not to while im up super late doing work.

Replies

• AJay513
    AJay513 Posts: 187
    Options
    I'm in college too and I do the same thing! All that late night studying really messes up my eating schedule!
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Im super bad about night snacking as well! Some days I conquer it by drinking large glass of hot tea with half and half and splenda. Also I try and snack on low cal options i.e. carrots and celery. When all else fails when I used to have to study late I used mints and gum which is not great for you but will work in a pinch.
  • AppleJuiceMoney
    Options
    I'm at university too and find it really difficult to keep studying late at night without a snack... I've found that cut up veggies, sugar free jello, 85% dark chocolate and lots of tea help stave off the hunger after dinner without adding very many calories at all :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Girly, I don't get home until 4-5am every day I run my food cart. Some weekends I don't make it home until nearly 6am! Your schedule varies... every person is different. I don't wake up until 3-4pm on a regular basis! You can't expect me not to eat after midnight, much less 8pm! It doesn't matter what time of day you eat, or really how often you eat. As long as you eat what you are supposed to.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you have the calories left, it doesn't matter when you eat them.

I have to watch WHAT I eat that late though... but I almost always save some calories so I can eat late at night.
  • CindiBryce
    Options
    It doesn't matter at what time you eat your food. Calorie are calories, no matter at which time they eaten.
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    well i'm a shift worker so I can't help but to eat late at night!! and i have been consistently loosing weight regardless of when I have dinner. I think it doesn't matter what time you eat, as long as you make healthy food choices.

as for not snacking I find distraction works best for me!! go for a walk, chat with a friend, anything to get my mind off food!!!
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have a similar situation, except I'm usually asleep when I do that snacking. What a sabotage I am to myself!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't matter what time you eat. Your body doesn't stop metabolizing food when you fall asleep! I eat the most food a few hours before bed. I hate going to sleep hungry!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    what time you eat is irrelevant, you can eat right up till you go to bed. Just fit that stuff into your cals and you're good to go
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    what time you eat is irrelevant, you can eat right up till you go to bed. Just fit that stuff into your cals and you're good to go
    I enjoy falling asleep whilst chewing on white carbs. Delicious!
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I enjoy late night snacking. Sometimes I work graveyard shift and eat throughout the night.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I eat up until 15 minutes until I go to bed - there is nothing worse than waking up hungry. If you are in you calories, what's the problem?
  • Maryee71
    Maryee71 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I think that was all thought up for people who go to bed at 10 or 11. Oprah said her trainer told her not to eat after 7. :yawn: For us night owls it's a mute point. It's almost midnight and I'm just finishing a banana and a fiber one bar and a cup of tea that I allowed for in my food diary. If you're up late studying, of course you need something. Just figure it into your days allowance.:drinker:
  • killagb
    Options
    For us night owls it's a mute point.
    moot.jpg
  • MîîśÊmÿłõü
    MîîśÊmÿłõü Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    time is completely irrelevant , calories are calories whether you eat them 1pm or 1am they still total your daily intake. aslong as you dont go over in the day then anything you eat is fine
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Won't make a difference unless you're going over in cals. And if you're going over, doesn't matter what time you're eating those cals.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a KitKat bar right now >.> and some milk. Probably shouldn't though... chocolate gives me really weird/creepy dreams. lol.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I think that was all thought up for people who go to bed at 10 or 11. Oprah said her trainer told her not to eat after 7. :yawn:

DON"T listen to Oprah for nutritional advice :tongue:

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
  • killagb
    Options
    I think that was all thought up for people who go to bed at 10 or 11. Oprah said her trainer told her not to eat after 7. :yawn:

DON"T listen to Oprah for nutritional advice :tongue:

The Primary Laws of Nutrient Timing
    The First Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    The Second Law of Nutrient Timing is: hitting your daily macronutrient targets is FAR more important than nutrient timing.
    I always thought the first and second rules were not to ever talk about your macronutrient targets.