for morning exercise slackers like me... the benefits of "lo

Options
So, I have been increasing my water intake just as good form. This morning at 4:20am, I have to pee (sorry TMI for you squeamish readers), and this is not like an "I will just roll over and ignore it" urge. So, I get up and go. Problem is, now I seem to be wide awake. Very unusual for me.

So, I lay in bed thinking, now what? Well, my excuse for not exercising in the morning has been not being awake at some ungodly hour. And here I am, wide awake. Okay, I will get up and turn on the Wii (apologies to the more hard-core exercise enthusiasts, this is what works for me), and think, I have plenty of time to take a nap before I leave for work in four hours.

Well, fifty minutes later, I am starving. I cook a nice egg breakfast (that I never have during the week), and I'm craving a shower. Spend some extra time on my hair, and before I know it, it's time to find my keys and glasses to head out the door. Then, I am having thoughts of dread, figuring I will be so tired throughout the day. But, guess what, I felt fab all day!

I had been setting my alarm early for weeks. After reading so many inspiring words here on mfp about exercising in the morning being as natural as getting dressed for the day, I yearned for that routine. I certainly was not up for it after work! I'm a night-owl by nature, but last night, after ten cups of water during the day, I made my way to the bedroom about two hours sooner and voila! I woke up two hours sooner. I know, I know, it seems obvious. This is a major concept, though, for morning exercise slackers, like myself.

This is just my little slice of insight. I have not posted many "advice" type things, as I have only lost 16 pounds in four months. This, though, I thought may help others. So drink up! :drinker: (that water too!)

Replies

• MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Excellent post! Very insightful, I am actually going to try going to bed couple hours early and drinking a bit more before bed, and hopefully same things will happen to me. I hate exercising after work and always heard about people having so much energy through the day because they exercise in the mornings. I have been setting my alarms early and everytime it would go off I would reset it for normal waking time :P
    Now this is perfect idea to change that!
  • normusnonaliam
    normusnonaliam Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    16 lbs in 4 months is awesome!

after i graduate and get on a more regular schedule i'd love to start working out in the morning. sounds like you have a good routine :)
  • misspoetic
    misspoetic Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    the irony is that im reading this in my bed contemplating whether or not to exercise.lol
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Love it!

good for you...

I'm a morning exercisers who has (because of schedule changes) become more of an after work exerciser. Surprisingly, I am sticking to it-and not making excuses after work, like I used to do. Yay!

Keep up the good work!
    :drinker:
  • Tiffysinsanity
    Tiffysinsanity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That's great! I try to work out in the mornings but not as early as I would like. I would love to wake up, and get my workout and shower done before the kids wake up but I just can't drag myself out of bed that early. Maybe I after reading this it'll help me get that push I need.
  • chevysarah
    Options
    This is great!! I had a similar experience last week - although I ignored my wide-awakeness and went back to sleep (well mainly just laid in bed) but you have inspired me to jump up next time and start my day better!!
    Thanks for your insight and cheers :)
  • Shanahan09
    Options
    Isn't it amazing what working out first thing in the day can do? I always feel better, happier, more 'peppy' through out the day. PLUS, it's over and done with!! Woohoo!!
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I have been setting my alarms early and everytime it would go off I would reset it for normal waking time :P

Exactly my previous problem! You get it, fellow slacker :wink: Best to you on your new mission :))
  • paxetamore
    Options
    16 lbs in 4 months is awesome!

after i graduate and get on a more regular schedule i'd love to start working out in the morning. sounds like you have a good routine :)

aww, ty! It is hardly routine, though... yet! School can be a real pain in the a** on a health schedule, I know. Best to you :))
  • paxetamore
    Options
    the irony is that im reading this in my bed contemplating whether or not to exercise.lol

i luv this!!! :laugh:
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Love it!

good for you...

I'm a morning exercisers who has (because of schedule changes) become more of an after work exerciser. Surprisingly, I am sticking to it-and not making excuses after work, like I used to do. Yay!

Keep up the good work!
    :drinker:

You too! Good for you! I am more inspired :))
  • paxetamore
    Options
    but I just can't drag myself out of bed that early

totally get this concept! good luck to you :))
  • paxetamore
    Options
    I had a similar experience last week - although I ignored my wide-awakeness and went back to sleep (well mainly just laid in bed)

believe me, if i could have fallen back to sleep, i would have :laugh:
  • paxetamore
    Options
    Isn't it amazing what working out first thing in the day can do? I always feel better, happier, more 'peppy' through out the day. PLUS, it's over and done with!! Woohoo!!

You are right! I sure liked knowing I had done my workout already... gave me a little spring in my step all day :))
  • paxetamore
    Options
    just noticed my topic title too long doh!

for morning exercise slackers like me... the benefits of "lots" of water
  • sfalk1977
    sfalk1977 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love exercising in the morning! Like you said - sets you up for the rest of the day, smug in the knowledge that you have a big tick in the exercise box! It also gets lots of water in me first thing as well, I drink about 4 glasses during and after doing 30 DS.

Keep it up Roxane - you'll be a morning exercise lover like me in no time!

Sarah
  • tms0926
    tms0926 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great job getting up and moving in the morning!! Also 16 lbs in 4 months is great! Keep up the good work!

I've been working out in the morning in the gym at work since February. I'm able to get ready for work afterwards. It absolutely sets up the rest of the day with lots of energy. I'm able to go back to the gym with my peeps at lunch time and do some classes or some more cardio. Since I've already worked out in the morning, the afternoon workout is almost optional. It has made a huge difference in my progress though...
  • paxetamore
    Options
    thanx for the encouraging words sfalk1977 & tms0926!!! greatly appreciated :flowerforyou: