Where are you getting your health info?

Options
2»

Replies

• kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Nope you are all wrong! This is exactly why I get my health information from Wikipedia, conspiracy websites, and Carrot Top.

It is hard to argue with this wisdom, especially the Carrot Top part, I think he may be a modern day prophet.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Then I'd say get a second and third PROFESSIONAL opinion. Do some research on medical websites. Honestly, unless you went to medical school, you aren't really qualified to decipher the wrong info from the right.

You need to go to medical school to understand research pertaining to exercise science and nutrition?
  • forestrose910
    forestrose910 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    lol about the broken clock. but actually even that quote is not accurate as a stopped clock may be right twice a day but a broken one could just be running weird and never be right. Please take this in the spirit that it was written as in light because I really love that quote and do actually use it often. just a break from the heavy discussion (but necessary):laugh:
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    a broken 2-HAND clock is right twice per day. A broken digital clock is just a lie.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of *kitten* here.
    And also a lot of really dumb and ignorant people.
    And also some tactful and intelligent people.
    Each of these people are sometimes right and sometimes wrong. Even the dummies are sometimes right and even the *kitten* are sometimes wrong. When a dummy contradicts an *kitten* with wrong information, this often irritates the *kitten* (we're talking figuratively here, so preparation-h does not apply), so then the *kitten* usually can't help but to give the dummy a schooling.

Just because someone is a sweetheart doesn't make them right. And just because someone is an *kitten* doesn't make them wrong. The trick is in learning how to do you own research and do your own fact checking.

As long as there's a forum here, people will post and post and never will everyone agree. And as long as things are slightly more amusing than they are annoying, *kitten* like me will stick around.

You sir, win.
  • cwilson466
    cwilson466 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get my information from my own research. But the problem is that all the information about nutrition in the world may not help if motivation is the problem. We often set ourselves up to fail because people make comments that losing weight is actually very easy; calories in < calories out. This may be true, but our psychology plays a role in that, too. I think the best advice from a posting like this one isn't "what kind of food should I eat?" Instead it is, "What did you do to stay motivated?" and "How did you resist the temptation to eat 12 lbs of butter basted Turkey at Thanksgiving last year?" or "What tricks do you use to keep stress from derailing your healthy lifestyle?"

That is the real help that I need!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Since every body is different, there isn't a 'this is the only way to do it' out there. Many Doctors are willing to prescribe many things that are not healthy for us. I wouldn't expect them to be experts on nutrition and exercise either because that is NOT their focus in school or in practice. I had a doctor - one that was great for every other health issue I had - tell me to eat 800-1000 calories a day and I would lose weight. While that is probably true, it is probably not the healthiest way to lose it and I would feel like crap. There is a select group of people on here that I will trust with their input, but I will still check their information on my own. In the end, each of us has to find what works for us! Some people don't do well with a high carb diet and some do. If everyone worked the same, then there would be a simple this is exactly what you have to do to lose weight, but some people lose better with higher calorie counts, some lower, etc. Some can eat junk food non-stop and still lose weight. Find what works for you and tweak what you are doing based on advice you get and see if it works for you. That is the best you can do.
  • ievishs
    ievishs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can look past all the advertising, www.bodybuilding.com has lot of good info
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Just ask me and you'll get the right answer.

You are on the list of people whose advice I trust.