A pound of flesh...among other things.

Options
Sobe1970
Sobe1970 Posts: 36 Member
With the wealth of information floating around out there I find it simpy unbelievable that there are still people out there who believe one pound of muscle weights more than one pound of fat. They are the same...ONE POUND! A pound is a pound is a pound. :huh:

Happy hump day!

Replies

• kbrown1171
    Options
    Ha ha! So true. :happy:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    oh god not this again. *steps back and watches the floodgates open*
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    "People who argue that one pound of fat weighs the same as one pound of muscle are correct but that proves absolutely nothing. One pound of anything weighs the same as one pound of anything else. The basis of the statement is that by volume muscle weighs more than fat, and that is absolutely true".

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_muscle_weigh_more_than_fat#ixzz1cYBcspyl
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    But the real question is...should we eat our exercise calories?
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    "People who argue that one pound of fat weighs the same as one pound of muscle are correct but that proves absolutely nothing. One pound of anything weighs the same as one pound of anything else. The basis of the statement is that by volume muscle weighs more than fat, and that is absolutely true".

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Does_muscle_weigh_more_than_fat#ixzz1cYBcspyl

People are just too lazy to finish the whole statement usually.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options

oh god D: here we go again....
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options

Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

100% agreed. saying the weight the same just because 1 lb of one = one pound of the other completely misses the point of what is being pointed out. And no one ever argues that 1 lb of one thing weighs more than 1 lb of another thing. When comparing weights volume should be the constant, you cannot properly compare the 2 if you are having wight and volume both variable.

Saying muscle weighs the same as fat becuase 1 lb of fat = 1 lb of muscle would be like saying that butter and carrots have the came caloric content because 100 cals of butter = 100 cals of carrots but we all know that butter is more calorie dense and the same size serving will have way more cals than the carrots.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options

So I shouldn't ask if it's normal to gain .2 ounces?
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

Are you eating your exersise calories?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Go to the tools section and figure out your BMI:

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

isn't going to www.shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/ easier?
  • d2footballJRC
    Options

So I shouldn't ask if it's normal to gain .2 ounces?

You should probably have your thyroid checked.

Oh wait it's probably pure muscle gain.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat and a pound of muscle may weigh the same, but I bet a pound of bricks weighs more than both!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    A pound of fat and a pound of muscle may weigh the same, but I bet a pound of bricks weighs more than both!

I'd like to see a pound of bricks. I have a feeling it'd be pretty small bricks.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

PMSL!!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    not-this-again.jpg
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I'd like to see a pound of bricks. I have a feeling it'd be pretty small bricks.

I have a feeling you'd be right.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    How about what will make you weigh more?

A pound of chocolate or a pound of steak?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

HA!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    but, i'm getting my period!! AGAIN!! every month like clockwork!! let me write a thread about it. do you weigh in? is the bloating normal? i've only been getting my period since adolescence, but still, this is new to me!!

it%2527s+me+margaret.jpg