bloating, fluid retention

Options
Last week I started using the birth control patch again, and gained 2kg! I know it's water weight, because I've been pretty on track with my calories (other than a drinking night on Saturday and some Thai food last night). I've been eating tons of fruits and veggies, as well as increasing my water intake the last couple of days to try to combat it, but the scale is still going up! Oh also, last night I strength trained for the first time in a while, I heard that can cause water retention immediately after. I'm watching my salt (well, other than the Thai meal), but is there anything else I can do? I know it will go away eventually but I feel so blahhhh, all my clothes are tight today, even my shoes! I wish there was something I could do to help my body let go of some of this water. Not sure if diuretics are safe. Anyone have a trick up their sleeve?

Replies

• p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Dandelion Root.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    If you are not already, start tracking your sodium. MFP puts you at 2500mg per day I believe. My Dr. wants me at 1500-2000 max and I don't suffer from hypertension or anything. I find that if I eat too much sodium I retain a ton more water than when I eat less. It's REALLY hard to keep under if you eat a lot of processed and take out foods. If you go more clean/natural you can stay under and you'll see a tremendous difference!
  • Johannes1
    Options
    Hi, eating to much fruit sometimes puts the weight on as well, end weight training increases muscles so that may also account for the weight gain. Give it another 2 weeks and see how you go and don't forget to add the alcohol to your dairy as this can be easy overlooked...give it time :)
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    When I tried those "long term" BCs I gained so much water weight it was crazy! I never lost it till I got off of it (3 months) and got on a very low hormone pill.

I think it has to do with the amount of hormones being released by the BC and with the long term ones, the dosage can go a bit awry and be high.