GETTING HARDER TO BURN CALORIES

Options
So i have been exercising straight for 1.5 months now and i am finding it is getting harder and harder to reach 1000 calories per work- out.

Today I was working my butt off trying to just get to 800 on the elliptical and i just could not do it - i was sweating buckets and I was feeling how my muscles were burning but all i could do was 610 calories. Before, i would easily burn 800 calories, 700 if I did not use any resistance and 600 if I was slacking... but today I was trying my best and all I could is 610??!!

So then my question is does it become harder to burn high amounts of calories the more you exercise, or do I just not know what I am talking about?

I was thinking maybe i was just really tired and needed a day of rest and that's why i am not able to move? Or does my HRM need a new battery.

any thoughts, ideas, tips, advice :)

Thanks

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The less you weigh, the fewer calories you burn. Plus, the more you exercise the more fit you become the harder it is to get your heart rate up... Is your average heart-rate lower than when you started?
  • hajjcomb
    hajjcomb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Yes, you burn less calories as a result of lower weight and increased cardiovascular conditioning.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You're just getting fit! Congrats! When you are more in shape, it's harder to burn calories because you body doesn't need to work as hard to move.
  • jgic2009
    jgic2009 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough? I have a hard time pushing myself if I've eaten lightly that day.

It could also be time to change up your exercise routine. Not sure how often you've been on the elliptical for the last 6 weeks -- but why not mix it up? If you absolutely love the elliptical, try interval training on it. Otherwise, try out rowing, cycling, etc.
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yep it will get harder, but it's actually a good thing. It means that your body is getting stronger and working more efficiently. In the beginning your body wasn't use to working that hard, so your heart and lungs was working overtime, which caused you to burn more calories b/c your heart rate was higher. Now that your heart/lungs/body is becoming more fit. They do not have to work as hard to do the work, i.e. your heart rate isn't as high, and you burn fewer calories. What you need to do now is step up your workouts. If you continue to just do this, you will have a stall in your progress. You now have to challenge your body more, and as your body continue to adjust you will continue to increase your workouts to see results. I'm not sure of your exact exercise regime but find something new too do or something more challenging, and you should see your calorie burns go up again.
  • rachel871
    rachel871 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Calories burnt on machines like ellipticals are calculated by measuring your heart rate, and comparing it to your resting heart rate.

As you get fitter, your heart will not need to beat as quickly to cope with the exercise...

So unfortunately, you won't burn as many calories...! Works the same as you lose weight - the less you weigh, the lower your heart rate tends to be...

But see the positive side, you're seeing a great improvement in your fitness!

If you tend to do the same exercises, try changing it round a bit - maybe try and aerobics class or something? The different exercise will get your heart pumping!

Good luck! :)
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You are getting more fit and that is awesome. I know how much it sucks to see smaller and smaller numbers for calorie burn but it's actually a great thing and you should be proud!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you were doing before to burn 1000 but I honestly can't think of anything I do that even comes close.
    I wear a Polar FT7 --- 1 hour on the elliptical is about 600. I hour of Zumba is usually 380-480

I know it varies by body and weight and age too.....but 1000 still seems extremely high.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is what's happening to you, but it does get harder to burn calories as you lose weight. It obviously requires less strength to move a lighter body. Furthermore, let's say you lost 30 pounds, and you wear a 30lbs weighed vest to make up for it... The outcome won't be the same because 30lbs of body fat is a part of your body, and you burned extra calories trying to keep it metabolized, alive. But a 30lbs vest is not a part of your body.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    You might be tired, sometimes (I've been working out for 7 months now) I barely have the energy to get to the gym much less do a super intense workout. How often you are working out can effect things, if you're doing it too often you can actually do more harm than good. Listen to your body! Take a night off, your body needs that from time to time.

Also, don't forget as you get in better shape your body burns less calories because it doesn't take as much energy to keep it going.

It could also be your HRM, how long have you had it? If you notice similar results again you may want to try a new battery.
  • allenlisa
    Options
    I have the same problem. I burned twice as many cals when I first started working out. Now I have to bust my butt to burn 4 or 5 hundred. I think as your body gets used to exercise and you loose body fat you begin to become more "fit" and healthy and you have to work harder to burn the extra calories. And you also burn more during the day then you used to.
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's kind of a pet peeve of mine - the harder you work and the more you get fit, the harder it is to burn calories. That being said, try changing up your routine. Your body will get used to the routine and you may find that you start to plateau. Also, if you aren't already, start including some hand weights into your exercises. I've found that it's helping my metabolism and helping me to get a better burn. I have rarely had a calorie burn of 1000 - really only twice that I can remember. I usually shoot for 500 and that seems to work for me. Good job!
  • Sonchie
    Sonchie Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn does get less and less as you lose weight! I see people burning insane amounts of calories on here, but being 113 lbs now, I can run for an hour and barely burn 400 calories. I love burning around 500-600, but can only do that if i workout for about 90 minutes.
  • mgreen26
    Options
    You need to change up your workout If you can take a class that takes you out of your comfort zone. But it really means you are getting fit! Congrats
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you were doing before to burn 1000 but I honestly can't think of anything I do that even comes close.
    I wear a Polar FT7 --- 1 hour on the elliptical is about 600. I hour of Zumba is usually 380-480

I know it varies by body and weight and age too.....but 1000 still seems extremely high.

As for the 1000 calories, i do elliptical using HIIT and then i do circuit training - I do not always hit a 1000 but this is my daily target.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the encouragement. I forgot to note that I have noticed my heart rate drop, I used to easliy get up 80% or 90%, now I can barely get up to 80% and hover around 70%.

I know the 1000 calories may seem extreme ( as some have you mentioned) but if I do not challenge myself I get bored... anyways.. i appreciate all of the feedback gives me an understanding of what is going on with my body.
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    Options

I use a Polar as well and I burn more calories than that! Zumba I burn 500-600 if I am taking a class, more if I am leading a class. I think a lot depends on how hard you are working at it, but also the more fit you are the harder you're going to have to work to get your heart rate up. You also might consider changing your workout. Your body is probably getting used to your regular routine and if you try something new it will have to work a little harder for a while until you are more used to it too :)
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Why are you trying to burn so many calories? Are doing that much so you can eat more or are you training for something? Constantly doing THAT much cardio isn't going to make it any more beneficial.

You may have some priorities mixed up. If you're training for a marathon or something, don't focus on your calories, focus on your progress (distance, time). If you're doing it just to burn more calories, you may be at too much of a deficit. If you're doing it to eat more, you're doing it wrong.

Just my 0.02.

Edit: Also, the reason you may not be able to burn so many calories is because you're getting burnt out...

from too much cardio.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    Wow! 1000 calories burned a day during exercising is a lot! And that's all in 1.5hours??? Kudos to you! :drinker: