Flu jab?

2»

Replies

• coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    I'm not big on having chemicals and mystery ingredients of any kind injected into me. I would rather have the flu. Which I'm sure I will get. It's really a totally personal preference.
  • dadoffo
    dadoffo Posts: 379 Member
    If you don't like getting shots you can always get the flu mist.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    SarabellPlus3 speaks the truth and with some facts and science. Just because someone got "the flu" (or a normal cold) at some point after they had the flu jab does not mean that was the CAUSE.

True! Also, there is a difference between individual immunity and "herd immunity"... vaccines onle "take" about 80-90% of the time. So just because you got a vaccine, does not always mean you're actually immune.

The reason vaccines for diseases like measules, mumps, rubella, diptheria, etc. work so well is because EVERYONE in the "herd" (our population) gets vaccinated. So, even though some individuals are still not immune, there is nobody to catch it from since 90% of the population has immunity.

But since a flu shot is not mandatory for everyone, herd immunity wouldn't apply, and some who get the shot could still get the flu afterwards. (and, as you mentioned, they could also be getting a cold or a stomach bug and just call it the "flu")
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Influenza is a mutating virus with multiple strains so there's no such thing as immunity in this case. Getting the vaccine does give you a 'mini-flu' (which is how the vaccine works, it gives you the virus so your body can build of defenses against it), but it affects different people to varying degrees. Some feel just as bad as having the full flu, some don't even notice. Because the shot doesn't protect against many strains of flu and because of the low probability of getting the flu, I skip it.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAH It gives you a "mini flu"...can you please be any more wrong? the virus in the flu shot is DEAD.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Influenza is a mutating virus with multiple strains so there's no such thing as immunity in this case. Getting the vaccine does give you a 'mini-flu' (which is how the vaccine works, it gives you the virus so your body can build of defenses against it), but it affects different people to varying degrees. Some feel just as bad as having the full flu, some don't even notice. Because the shot doesn't protect against many strains of flu and because of the low probability of getting the flu, I skip it.

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAAH It gives you a "mini flu"...can you please be any more wrong? the virus in the flu shot is DEAD.

Well, technically it would be "inactivated" since viruses aren't alive... lol... However, the virus in the nasal spray is a "live" attenuated virus!
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    There no such thing as a living or dead virus because the definition of what is living or dead is still up for scientific debate for these microorganisms. Yes, it can be inactivate, but the principle is to inject flu viruses into your body to evoke an autoimmune response. Don't take my or anyone else's word on it:

"Each injected seasonal influenza vaccine contains three influenza viruses: one influenza type A subtype H3N2 virus strain, one influenza type A subtype H1N1 (seasonal) virus strain, and one influenza type B virus strain."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza_vaccine

"The nasal-spray flu vaccine — a vaccine made weakened flu viruses that is given as a nasal spray (sometimes called LAIV for “Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine”)."
    http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Pardon if the illustration made people chuckle, this was not the intent. There is sufficient testimony here with people who work in healthcare (as I do) to validate the ill feelings after getting the shot. Note please I said "some feel just as bad as having the full flu..." as in "experiencing the symptoms that are also found in the flu".
This discussion has been closed.