Heart Rate Monitor?

Hey. So I just picked up my first pair of properly fitted running shoes and am going to start getting some runs in. I have run before with an ex of mine and she wore a HRM and used it to determine her pace. My current girlfriend runs halfs and just for fun and doesn't wear a HRM.

I guess what I am wondering is what the advantage is to wearing one as far as losing weight is concerned. Is there a "zone" in which you are reducing fat more efficiently?

Any info on this would be appreciated.

Replies

• Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Most of what I've read have basically said that the zones are complete bunk. What having a HRM will give you is a more accurate assesment of level of effort, and calories burned. I don't have a GPS function on mine, but they are out there. I use my RunKeeper app on my iPhone for my pace and distance. Wearing mine has helped me more accurately track my calories burned vs. calories eaten. :) good luck
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 610 Member
    HRMs are great for getting and accurate reading of your heart (obviously) and your calories; which when you're trying to loose weight comes in very handy. Most people here recommend any style by Polar and I agree.
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    There is a "Zone" but you will more than likely go past the fat burning zone when you run.

to be in mine I am going at a brisk walking pace. I used to run an awful lot and didnt lose much weight. I completed the London Marathon this year so put alot of miles in.

I changed my runs fro walks earlier this year and targeted my FBZ and lost weight alot quicker. I havent had much chance to walk recently and hit a wall with weight loss so writing this has made me realise what i need to do!!

Calculate it here jpbird7.tumblr.com
  • LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 580 Member
    I really like my HRM. You can find "estimates" for how many calories you've burned, but I want to know for sure. When I was going by MFP's numbers I was recording way fewer calories than I was actually burning. This throws off your eating as well if you eat back your calories.
    You can get nice ones that track all kinds of things that can be beneficial to whatever kinds of exercising you are doing
  • birdinho
    birdinho Posts: 86 Member
    I really like my HRM. You can find "estimates" for how many calories you've burned, but I want to know for sure. When I was going by MFP's numbers I was recording way fewer calories than I was actually burning. This throws off your eating as well if you eat back your calories.
    You can get nice ones that track all kinds of things that can be beneficial to whatever kinds of exercising you are doing

Definetly worth investing some money on one. I got a Timex Ironman and that has GPS which I use for run/walk and biking. Gives acurate calories and you can track it after to see av HR, Lowest, highest to see how you did.

Great bit of kit
  • Thanks for the fast responses. I think that I will pick up a basic one, mainly for the accurate calories burned function.
  • ToNiBeE99
    ToNiBeE99 Posts: 33 Member
    I just received my HRM today and can't wait to try it out. I got a Polar FT4. I've heard great reviews about it on MFP and on youtube. :)