Holiday Fat Check

Options
If you are a member of a fitness gym, look around next time you go. The gym tends to be a little empty around the holiday season. Less traffic is expected during the holiday season because people are “busy”. Busy is not a good excuse. Your personal goals should be high on you want and needs list. When is the last time you heard someone say he couldn’t pay rent because he was too busy, or she couldn’t make work because she didn’t have any time? Aside from the necessities of living your fitness goals need to be ranked high. The holiday season is the primetime to keep on your fitness goals.

“The average person gains 7 to 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas.” (www.nytimes.com)

So, I have a created a challenge for you. Ten pounds of fat carries 35,000 calories. The time frame between Thanksgiving and January 2, 2012 is about 6 weeks or 39 days, but let’s say 40 days. You have to burn 875 calories per day. (No days off!)

In perspective – an hour of jogging burns 400-600 calories.

Let’s keep it simple. To meet this goals of 35,000 calories burned you must workout everyday and eat healthier aka minimal unnecessary calories.

My challenge to you is over the next 2 ½ weeks devise a plan. You will need to organize meals using myfitnesspal.com and set up workouts that burn the most calories. (Remember the more joints in motion means more calories burned).

If you are up for it, send me a message via myfitnesspal.com with your starting information i.e.
Screen name:
Game plan:
Questions, comments, concerns:
*Taking a before picture and video recording you progression is vital to your success and helping other succeed in the future.
We are all family and I am here to help.

Reference:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/11/22/the-skinny-on-holiday-weight-gain/

Replies

• ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    Sounds like a great challenge but please consider 1 day of the week as a rest day from exercise. Rest is also very important! I'm in on the challenge. I burn on average of 800+ calories anyway
  • brbetha01
    brbetha01 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    “The average person gains 7 to 10 pounds between Thanksgiving and Christmas.” (www.nytimes.com)

Holy crap! That's a lot.... I'm definitely keeping myself in check this holiday season.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great challenge but please consider 1 day of the week as a rest day from exercise. Rest is also very important! I'm in on the challenge. I burn on average of 800+ calories anyway

Hope you get some people to sign up, sounds like a good challenge. I agree that at least one rest day is important.
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    ncole
    I'm glad you are in ncole :)

RE: rest....adding in one day of rest put your daily caloric burn to 972 per day...
    remember if you are already at 800+ calories burned per day.. this challenge is going to require you to burn 972 more per day if you eat the foods we all eat during the holidays

I wish you luck... :)
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I am NOT looking forward to the New Year Rush!
  • Peanutmanda
    Options
    I plan to lose the weight these people are finding. ; )

I may join this challenge, I guess I need to think of a game plan...
  • keinanbriggs
    Options

Hope you get some people to sign up, sounds like a good challenge. I agree that at least one rest day is important.

:) I am trying to keep a log of how many people stay on the wagon vs not. I am kind of doing a personal research study. I am sure we will see a lot of success
  • mrssavvysteve
    mrssavvysteve Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the challenge, but also a little scared/nervous... My workouts almost never go over 645 calories....
    If I could get help with some suggestions on high burning workouts I could do, i'd be all for it!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Wow, what? Is this true? I eat a lot on Thanksgiving and Christmas but it's just 2 days. Do most people overeat for the whole month?
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    I am interested in the challenge, but also a little scared/nervous... My workouts almost never go over 645 calories....
    If I could get help with some suggestions on high burning workouts I could do, i'd be all for it!

lets have you start with finding high caloric burning exercises on your own 1st then message me what you have. The knowledge will help you become more creative with mixing and matching exercises and modification of each
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    Wow, what? Is this true? I eat a lot on Thanksgiving and Christmas but it's just 2 days. Do most people overeat for the whole month?

Its not just the two days. There are work dinner parties, bday parties, left overs, egg nog, eating on the go when you are doing all that Christmas shopping, working extra hours to make more cash so you can buy gifts for your family etc. There are a lot of factors that come in to play
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Almost 1000 calorie burn per day is HARD CORE!
    What about the people who only have a little to lose? Or the ones who don't gain 10 lbs during the holidays? Same rules apply?
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Wow...I'm just...wow O.O That is a crazy amount of calories to burn a day! Good luck to ya'll and I hope everyone succeeds, but I'm sitting this one out. Everyone at my college already looks at me weird cuz of the funny way I walk from my joints being so stiff after exercising, and that's only about 300 or so calories burned.
  • keinanbriggs
    Options
    Almost 1000 calorie burn per day is HARD CORE!
    What about the people who only have a little to lose? Or the ones who don't gain 10 lbs during the holidays? Same rules apply?

Reminder: The 800+ calories is HARDCORE! The 800+ calories are based off of eating 10 lbs of fat over the Holiday season. If you don't eat 10 lbs worth of fats then your number of total calories required to burn drops. I just went with the extreme average mentioned by NYTimes.com. The amount eaten changes at each person, I just threw out 10 lbs and the reality behind it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Its not just the two days. There are work dinner parties, bday parties, left overs, egg nog, eating on the go when you are doing all that Christmas shopping, working extra hours to make more cash so you can buy gifts for your family etc. There are a lot of factors that come in to play
    Well that was my question. But no for me it IS just the two days. None of these things you mentioned apply to me at all. I must have a very unusual lifestyle if this is the norm.