Heart rate monitor fans?

Options
I just started using a heart rate monitor, Garmin 305. Mixed feelings yesterday, finding out that my run route was shorter than originally thought and subsequently my pace much slower!! I'm naming her Salty Sally, and hoping we get along better soon. Today I think it's nice to train in reality, and also have an accurate idea of how many calories I burn.

I'd love to hear from HRM fans, and suggestions of how to best use them for weight loss and endurance race training. Not sure I've got my head wrapped around exactly how heart rate plays into that.

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I use the entry level Polar - the FT4 - to see how hard I'm working etc. As I understand it, you need to be the lower half of your target zone for aerobic (weight loss) exercise and the upper half for anaerobic (more muscle training). It's frustrating because the better shape I'm in the harder it is to get to the upper half of the range!!
  • lsunderl
    Options
    I have the same model - I have never used the HRM with it though.

The best feature that I've found (other than the obvious calculating: distance, pace and time) is the "workout" feature. In the computer program you can create your own workouts and download them to your watch. For instance, if I want to run a pace between 6:00 and 7:00 min/km then I can set it to do that for x amount of time. Then, when you're doing your run it will beep at you if you are running too fast or too slow. So create your workout, schedule it and then "send to your device" in the training centre.

Great if you don't have a "pace bunny" with you and have a hard time telling how fast you are going (like me!).