Why am i considered obese?

Options
stats: 5'10, 208 lbs was 215, 2 months ago.
fitness status: I can Run 2 miles in 17 min , 50 push ups and sit-ups in 2 minutes trying to improve this. I'm able to do more but thats how i test myself. I also do elliptical for 45 minutes and try to keep my heart rate up around 164-170.

Body Fat Estimation:

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

Results:
Using your measurements of a 38 inches waist and weight of 208 pounds your body fat percentage is estimated to be 28.89 % using the U.S. Army body fat algorithm, or 24.95 % using the U.S. Marine body fat algorithm, or 26.14 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 24.29 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

These methods are not as accurate as a water displacement test, but is usually within 1-3% for most people. If you have a very small waist, it will show a low value. On the other hand, if you carry all your extra weight around your middle, you may have an elevated percentage. Please note that having this extra weight in the middle is a high risk factor for heart disease and stroke. The waist to hip ratio calculator can give you more information.

so any thoughts?

Replies

• auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Obesity is a measure of Body Mass. A BMI > 30 is obese for a male. Physical fitness does not make you not obese. You can have a BMI of 32 and run two miles in twelve minutes, and still be obese.

Water displacement / body fat % is the best way to go. Pure BMI is not good to go off of for accuracy.
  • meeperoon
    meeperoon Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Because they are standardised results, your probably not, body builders are considered obese but they're not.

It's just a number on a page that someone said yes to. It's not personal.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Being obese and your physical activity levels/abilities are two completely separate things.

You can be 5'10, 150lbs with a 30" waist and not be considered obese, but be a complete couch potato, or you can have your measurements and be considered obese while still being active.

I don't necessarily think your weight is an issue, but the % fat, regardless of which way you measure it, is higher than is considered healthy - hence the obese assessment. Convert the fat to muscle, and get down to around 18%, and I would consider you healthy, even if you are still around 210 pounds.

You are two inches shorter than me, almost 30 lbs heavier, and have a 4" larger waist. I am considered to be in the overweight category, with a body fat % of 18.9%. Take it as you will, but that is why you are rated that way.
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Because they are standardised results, your probably not, body builders are considered obese but they're not.

agreed.
  • dietpop
    dietpop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I judge my body fat by how much fat I can grab on my stomach, my love handles and my thighs. BMI doesn't mean much.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

If you look at the test used here to determine bodyfat it factors in things like bicep/forearm/wrist/thigh etc.

So it is not just aweight VS height comparison like many

This did give a fairly close estimation when I just did it.

If it's telling you your 25% bodyfat, you probably are.
  • gleechick609
    Options
    BMI index sucks. I don't listen to it. I know girls who are 5'6, weigh 120 lbs and I can out run them any day of the week and I am 5'5 at 178 lbs (currently!)
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am an obesity researcher, the BMI is terrible, and the categories for normal weight, overweight and obese are very limiting and do not take into account many factors. Brad pit is overweight, virtually every professional athlete is obese, some of the fittest people in the world are categorized incorrectly.

these categories are not meant for individual use, neither is BMI, they are for mass population observations. over an entire population, BMI is useful in getting a decently accurate estimate of the heath of the population in a very cost effective manner, great for research, bad for individuals.

dont take it to heart if you are categorized as overweight or obese, just live a heathy active lifestyle and you will reap all the heath benifits
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    men's body fat should be 6-25%, and women's should be 14-31% according to the American Council on Exercise.

So if those calculators are right you are right at the very high end of healthy - but honestly those calculators are VERY inaccurate for most people, a professional with calipers or some other high standard method of measurement is your best bet.

And this is just me but I wouldn't be happy with my body at the high end of the body fat scale. I'm at 28-29 right now and that is a LOT of fat. I will look much better at 20. This is all personal preference.

Also as others have said - BMI is just a statistical measurement. All it says is that most people who are X height and Y weight are overweight, and those at X height and Z weight are obese. But that doesn't mean ALL people, just that more than 50% fall along those lines. People with lower bodyfat may not fit that mold well. I'm technically like 20 lbs overweight BMI but my BF is healthy but another lady who is 5'6" and 174 might be 35% bodyfat and that would be overweight.
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You've got great answers here. Fyi, I bought a great scale from Amazon that cost $40 dollars plus tax or something. It measures body fat, muscle, and water percentage and is very accurate. LOVE IT!!! You have to program it and step on it without socks over the sensors. I love it for weight loss, my nationally ranked triathlete son loves it for training.

Check it out: Ozeri Touch (comes in black or white; very attractive, user friendly and ACCURATE).

I love knowing that fat went down and muscle went up or that water went up and weight went up.
  • magnesium0
    Options
    You've got great answers here. Fyi, I bought a great scale from Amazon that cost $40 dollars plus tax or something. It measures body fat, muscle, and water percentage and is very accurate. LOVE IT!!! You have to program it and step on it without socks over the sensors. I love it for weight loss, my nationally ranked triathlete son loves it for training.

Check it out: Ozeri Touch (comes in black or white; very attractive, user friendly and ACCURATE).

I love knowing that fat went down and muscle went up or that water went up and weight went up.

I hope is not one of those scales that end up breaking in a few months. (Companies don't design things to last anymore)

Thanks for all the advice.
  • magnesium0
    Options
    I am an obesity researcher, the BMI is terrible, and the categories for normal weight, overweight and obese are very limiting and do not take into account many factors. Brad pit is overweight, virtually every professional athlete is obese, some of the fittest people in the world are categorized incorrectly.

these categories are not meant for individual use, neither is BMI, they are for mass population observations. over an entire population, BMI is useful in getting a decently accurate estimate of the heath of the population in a very cost effective manner, great for research, bad for individuals.

dont take it to heart if you are categorized as overweight or obese, just live a heathy active lifestyle and you will reap all the heath benifits

Didn't realize/know this.
  • magnesium0
    Options
    thanks for all the info everyone.