milk?

Options

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I personally do soy.. but thats because if I have too much diary I get bloated and sick.

It's really up to you and what you prefer..
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I myself use almond milk even to cook with. I have a pretty high protein diet from other sources, so almond is the best choice for me because there is LOADS of calcium which is super important for women and the calories are just right. I buy the plain unsweetened kinds for every day use, but occasionally get vanilla or chocolate as a treat and it doesn't ruin my day. :)

There's actually more calcium in cow's milk than there is in almond milk.
  • FreeDiver87
    Options
    I agree with what a number of people have said already- Almond milk is awesome.

Soy milk is not good if you have a thyroid disorder (amongst other things).

I personally find that the lower the fat in cow's milk, the better. I rotate between Almond milk and cow's milk as I prefer cow's milk in my tea. I hope my taste will change though so I can drink Almond milk all the time :-)
  • FreeDiver87
    Options
    I agree with what a number of people have said already- Almond milk is awesome.

Soy milk is not good if you have a thyroid disorder (amongst other things).

I personally find that the lower the fat in cow's milk, the better. I rotate between Almond milk and cow's milk as I prefer cow's milk in my tea. I hope my taste will change though so I can drink Almond milk all the time :-)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I only like skim. The thickness of fattier milk is gross to me. I really don't like the taste of whole my kids drink it though.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I used to love 2%, but then found that 1% was good. Skim milk just tasted like water to me. Lately, though, I've had to switch to lactose-free milk (instead of deal with the painful cramping). The kind we usually get (Horizon) only comes is 2% lactose-free. But if I get Lactaid I get the 1%.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    I drink goat milk mostly and I'll generally get the 2%. Otherwise most my milk consumption is in the form of yogurt and cheese with a little sheep thrown in.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    anything but skim....bleh! it looks like blue water...

blue_water.jpg

Your skimmed milk looks like this? I'd take it back if i were you.

Mine looks like this

pfo7786.jpg

I simply have it in my tea as it's less calories, and the taste is pretty much the same in tea. :)
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Silk Pure Almond almondmilk has 45% DV of calcium; 1% dairy milk has 30% DV.

Dairy data drawn from USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 23 (2010).
    Data consistent for typical 1% dairy milk.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Silk Pure Almond almondmilk has 45% DV of calcium; 1% dairy milk has 30% DV.

Dairy data drawn from USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 23 (2010).
    Data consistent for typical 1% dairy milk.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't stand the taste of Almond or Soy Milk or regular milk less than 2%.
  • holzjw1482
    holzjw1482 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Raw whole milk.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Smug *kitten*. :devil: I wish I could get it. I can get raw cheese, but that's about it.
    Raw whole milk.
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows, there is no link between cows milk and preventing osteoporosis, in fact Asian countries that drink almost no dairy have the lowest instances of it. Almond milk and coconut milk are my favorites.
  • holzjw1482
    holzjw1482 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Smug *kitten*. :devil: I wish I could get it. I can get raw cheese, but that's about it.
    Raw whole milk.

Didn't Canada outlaw raw milk? I thought I read about a farmer doing a hunger strike.
  • WhitneyJerome
    WhitneyJerome Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have heard about almond milk but don't know much about it. Can you drink it if your lactose intolerant?
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I have heard about almond milk but don't know much about it. Can you drink it if your lactose intolerant?
    It's not actually milk, so no lactose involved.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Just a side note, the fat in dairy products makes the vitamins/minerals easier for your body to absorb, if you drink skim you are absorbing very little of the vitamin D and calcium. If your going to have a lower cal dairy option of whichever milk, try to have a little fat in it (1-2%) so it slows absorption and you get at least some benefit. :) Whole milk is best for babies for a lot of reasons. ;)
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Raw whole milk.

Didn't Canada outlaw raw milk? I thought I read about a farmer doing a hunger strike.

It's been illegal for pretty much ever, but people are working to change that. However there are many people who provide it and you just kind of have to go underground to find it, lol.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Raw whole milk.

Yup. The farmer in question is Michael Schmidt who sold shares in his herd to individuals who
    would then be able to gather the milk without actually paying for the milk. He was up on charges and won. It's a beginning.
    We can't drink raw milk from responsible farmers but we can down all the Tim Horton donuts and eat all the processed foods we want with the approval of our concerned gov't.