Being a Woman

Options
So I probally should know the answer to this being a sence Im a grown woman. However can anybody tell me if during your monthly cycle it is simply impossible to be good on your diet? My cravings are sooo strong. Also do you know if we pack on extra pounds while we are on it? I weighed in on Monday and have been struggling to stay faithful to my diet however when I weighd in today im back up 3 lbs :cry: Thanks for any help or advice.

Replies

• xmommyof2boysx
    xmommyof2boysx Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I hear you...i usually crave salt and sugar when that time of the month comes...I like to say that our body retains more water around that time too?
  • yesenia007
    yesenia007 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When Im on my period I always gain weight. Between 2-5lbs. I figure its water retention. Also I crave lots of chocolate.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Your not alone... I tend to eat alittle more BUT I definitly work out....helps make my cramps go away...Go figure. lol!
  • SPheonix22
    SPheonix22 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If you have been eating healthy all week before usually the cravings are less. Blood sugar levevled maybe?

I also add two pieces of doves darks chocolate and lots of water nip it in the bud.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible. But damn hard. I can relate. I get premenstrual headaches as well. And they feel like "hungry" headaches...so I eat to see if they'll go away. And they don't, usually. I also find it hard to stick with my workout routines in the midst of horrific cramps. Whoever said you should workout to ease cramps obviously never had my kind of cramps...it ain't happenin'! In short, I feel your pain! :(
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I do often retain some water but I RARELY give into weird cravings because I know it's not good for me. I allow myself to stay within my calories and have something I'm craving (usually chocolate) but I rarely gain more than 1-2lbs of water weight. So not all women give in.
  • Hanna82
    Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to not weigh myself around the time of my period. It's just too frustrating and also very wrong. I give in to my cravings and then after my period i weigh myself and know that there's always a possibility that I'll have to do some extra work. But usually nothing changes even with my fried food and chocolate binders.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Your not alone... I tend to eat a little more BUT I definitely work out....helps make my cramps go away...Go figure. lol!
    I agree, working out, helps with the cramps
  • brittanydaniel79
    Options
    Yes, there is a lot of water weight during TOM (time of month), but the more water you drink, the better off you'll be when it's done. Also, I'm not sure how true this is, but I once read that women burn up to 400 more calories per day during TOM. That could explain the crazy cravings and fatigue, so try to eat more fruit and veggies during to fill you up and curb the cravings...though I believe in indulging in some cravings during TOM, i.e. chocolate!!!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    However can anybody tell me if during your monthly cycle it is simply impossible to be good on your diet?

I stay on my diet, so I don't believe it is impossible. Only you can find your willpower. I don't use anything as an excuse and I take responsibility for my own food and exercise choices.
  • upsidedownpear
    upsidedownpear Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes most likely its water retention..taking diuretics help during such times..

Also, you may get extra snacky.. and crave for junk.. but its the most nutritious food that is going to keep your hunger and cravings in check..

The time of the month when you can afford to cheat is actually the mid-cycle around ovulation, which is when your BMR is relatively higher..and you will burn that chocolate cake or whatever faster!

Right now, just remember that **nothing tastes as good as skinny feels**

=)
  • vtgirl77
    Options
    I have the same problem...out of control cravings! I still try to be good, but sometimes ya just can't. Plus if you crave something and deny yourself, you tend to overdo it later. Allow yourself a cheat to satisfy the craving...I don't think we necessarily gain weight, but it's more attributed to water retention. I'm usually back down by the time it's over....just keep workin' and drinkin' your water :)
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I guess you could gain actual weight. But the 3 pounds is more likely due to water retention. It should go away fast after your T.O.M. is over.

It is possible to continue to eat healthy during this time. You may want to save some calories for the things you're craving. But remember: everything in moderation. Limit sodium and it should help minimize the water gain.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Sometimes during TOM I don't want to eat a thing, and sometimes I want to eat EVERYTHING. This has been an everything month, and it sucks. Also, the random fluctuations in water weight SUCK! My scale said I gained a pound and a half over night! I was so pissed!
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Besides water retention, I do crave snacks, but less so since I started eating better and losing weight. I have some snacks, but within my goals. Being broke helps too... "I could really go for a ____ or ____ or whatever...Oh, I have only $1.06...nevermind."
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's not impossible but it can be tough. It's ok to give in to cravings because, if you're like me, you might as well eat that piece of chocolate or you'll end up eating everything else in the kitchen trying to avoid that one bad treat. Just try not to go over your calories very much and get some exercise in if you can to make up the difference.

ETA: make sure you're drinking a lot of water, especially this time of month. Your body is working a little harder than usual and it needs the extra fluids. There is something to that extra 300-400 calorie burn but it's hard to say exactly how close to that each of us get. Just think of it as an extra deficit if you can keep within your calorie limit for the day.

I've heard the chocolate cravings are due to the body's need fore more magnesium so you could try eating things like spinach, seeds and nuts, halibut and black beans.
  • opalw
    opalw Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wOW THANKS that makes a lot of sence spinich it is :bigsmile:
  • jeannec3631
    jeannec3631 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    if there's a craving, by all means squelch it, your body is lacking something. it can be done on a healthier plane tho...make wiser choices. for chocolate; drink a glass of chocolate milk, one or two hershey kisses, etc. there are so many 100 calorie pack choices out there for just about any craving.
    Water retention is a thing of the past for me (YAY) but that bloating is what gets ya every time. just keep your head up & keep plugging along