Serious question about calorie goals...

Options
We all comment with YAYs and GOOD FOR YOUs when our friends' status shows that they were under their calorie goal... is that really a good thing? Personally, I write "YAY and GOOD JOB" because each person's goals and such are different and if you are under then you aren't over eating and generally that is a good thing. BUT for instance MY calorie goal is 1200 before exercise cals... if I eat under my calorie goal it doesn't mean that I am doing 'well'... it means that I am not eating ENOUGH. So....thoughts on this??? Just a case of the mid-day curiousities :tongue:

Replies

• SarahNicole317
    SarahNicole317 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think it's more important to give 'good jobs' for having a clean diary.

I always see 'Your diary looks great!" So of course, I have to take a look and I end up seeing that yeah, maybe they stayed within their caloric goals, but they did so with 100 calories packs of processed crap, white bread, etc.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I don't YAY or GOOD JOB anyone unless they're close to their target. If their target is 1500 cals, for example, and they're netting say 900, that's a failure. It's like saying, "I'm going to do 20 minutes of cardio today", but doing nothing instead.
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I only say good job if there are pretty close to their goal. If someone only ate 1200 and they burned 800 in exercise I would say anything.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't YAY or GOOD JOB anyone unless they're close to their target. If their target is 1500 cals, for example, and they're netting say 900, that's a failure. It's like saying, I'm going to do 20 minutes of cardio today, but doing nothing instead.

Same here. And when people are consistently far under their goal I give them advice on how to get closer to meeting their goal. Undereating can be just as dangerous and counter-productive as overeating.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that someone comes back and completes their diary is what I congratulate them on. Sometimes I look at diary's but rarely. I generally don't comment on them because I think if i do it too much it comes off as insincere.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I only comment if they're above 1200 and below their goal. But I rarely look at diaries to be honest as most of my friends list keeps my feed pretty updated with what's going on :P
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys... sounds like a good way to look at it! I'm a pretty positive person and love the support that I get here and try to give out the same, but I just didn't want to be giving support of unhealthy behavior you know? I can definately use some of the advice given here, so thanks again! I'll make sure to go in and take a look before posting:bigsmile:
  • chubiD
    chubiD Posts: 260
    Options
    I think that saying "good job" to someone eating less that 1200 calories (not 1190, but 1100, 1000, you get the idea) it's a bad idea. Sometimes I'm concerned about people eating too few calories and others encouraging them. In my opinion, the whole point of this site should be to lose weight in a *healthy* way, not to be starving yourself. I don't "yay" people under 1200 cals, and I don't expect people to do it for me.

In the same way, I think we should be eating our exercise calories back, and many people disagree. I understand that some days it might be hard (I've been there), but consistently not eating them doesn't look healthy to me.

I guess we can't all agree on these things, but it works better if you agree with you MFP friends...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I think it is important to remember that we all have our own ways of managing our health. There isn't any right way or wrong way and just because someone does it differently than you, doesn't mean you should judge them for it. I think it is more important to be supportive of each other than to criticize their choices.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Rather than post YAY or GOOD JOB, I post math problems. Then they don't really know if it's support or admonishment. And hey, math!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I generally don't comment on diaries, because I don't usually go in and read them, so I wouldnt' be sure what I was complimenting. They could have eaten 1200 calories in potato chips and not worked out at all for all I can tell....

I do try to comment on all exercise, weight loss or other posts when I'm online though....because I know how hard it can be to stay motivated to keep working out and I like that interaction with friends!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Rather than post YAY or GOOD JOB, I post math problems. Then they don't really know if it's support or admonishment. And hey, math!
    I like math...
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    One thing that I feel most of the commenters on this post seems to forget is that not everyone has the same needs this program says we do. The calories calculated for me are WWAAAAAAAYYYYYY too high. The only way I am able to get over 1000 calories is to eat fast food. THAT is not healthy and NOT the way I'm going to do it. However, since there is no way to change the calorie limits, at least that I've found, then I won't get the support and encouragement - at least according to what I'm reading on this post.

I can understand not wanting to support unhealthy habits/behaviors, but it might be a good idea to know a persons' restrictions and needs before deciding to not support them.
  • slenderagain
    Options
    I wish MFP would say, "met their calorie goal" if the person is within 100 calories on either side of the goal. It's silly that you can be 5 calories over and not get that kudos. I was about to congratulate someone on being under goal once and I glanced at their diary and they had eaten like 400 calories for the whole day. Um...not good!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I like math...

I don't
  • KendaVSG
    KendaVSG Posts: 147
    Options
    This is a great idea!!! I'm sure your friends appreciate it!
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I won't really post about it unless asked. I'm pretty sure they know whether what they're doing is bad for them. They just choose to do it anyway. It's when I'm pretty sure that the person doesn't know what they're doing is harmful for them that I'll provide them with info.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    One thing that I feel most of the commenters on this post seems to forget is that not everyone has the same needs this program says we do. The calories calculated for me are WWAAAAAAAYYYYYY too high. The only way I am able to get over 1000 calories is to eat fast food. THAT is not healthy and NOT the way I'm going to do it. However, since there is no way to change the calorie limits, at least that I've found, then I won't get the support and encouragement - at least according to what I'm reading on this post.

I can understand not wanting to support unhealthy habits/behaviors, but it might be a good idea to know a persons' restrictions and needs before deciding to not support them.

THIS
  • slenderagain
    Options

Go to your diet profile and click on "manual" and then put in your own calorie goal.

That said, I don't get how you can't get over 1000 calories without eating fast food. I never eat fast food and I'm always way above that. You can get plenty of calories from healthy food.
  • glockster972
    glockster972 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I like math...

I don't

Me neither