HIIT

Options
Hey all, how are you recording your HIIT workouts in MFP? I know I just burned a whole lot of cals doing HIIT but can't find it in the database and I don't have a HRM.

Replies

• harley_rose
    Options
    I have been doing mine with running or walking depending on the intervals I performed in that time frame., and then just added the calories burn from my treadmill.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i usually log it under circuit training, general
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Make you own. Just put in the amount of time and calories you burned.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've been doing it on the elliptical and just logging the calories it says I burn.
  • harley_rose
    Options
    I was just going to start a Topic wondering how many people do HIIT and how is it working for you? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am week 4, on my treadmill. 30 sec up 30 sec rest for 8 intervals. I am going to attempt by week 8 to be doing 12 with 30 sec up and 30 sec rest...
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    I did it for a few weeks but didn't notice any difference from the other stuff I was doing. DEFINITELY NOT the huge difference some of the "Internet studies" boast about. It's cool to break up the monotony a bit other than that.........
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Best suggestions I have is to either use a HRM or get a free trial at a gym somewhere, and experiment with one of the treadmils they have that will tell you your heartrate and stuff. I think you can enter in your weight/height and get estimates from there. I just use the general cardio circuit here to track my HIIT. I do INSANITY, but from what I've read that comes pretty close to the results people see on their HRM.
    I was just going to start a Topic wondering how many people do HIIT and how is it working for you? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. I am week 4, on my treadmill. 30 sec up 30 sec rest for 8 intervals. I am going to attempt by week 8 to be doing 12 with 30 sec up and 30 sec rest...
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this for SOUND KNOWLEDGE or anything, but it seems the major difference is how HIIT effects your muscles vs steady state cardio. Some suggests to do both. I'm not neccessarily trying to get extremely lean so I like HIIT more than Steady State, but will go back to strength training soon for a little more mass. If you want to get really lean, Steady state might be best, but runs the potential to break down some muscle.
    I did it for a few weeks but didn't notice any difference from the other stuff I was doing. DEFINITELY NOT the huge difference some of the "Internet studies" boast about. It's cool to break up the monotony a bit other than that.........
  • mamapaints
    mamapaints Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Okay, my HIIT is different in that I'm not using a machine at all, and incorporating tons of different mucles/movements; this is what I'm doing:

30 seconds of jumproping (as fast as I can)
    30 seconds of burpees (fast as I can)
    30 seconds of mountain climbers (fast as I can)
    30 seconds of skiis (fast as I can)
    REST for 1 min (walk in place, etc)

REPEAT above 4 more times for a total of 5. (15 minute intense workout)

Your heart rate goes waaay up and then you get a 1 min. "rest" to help bring it down. By the end I'm barely moving but it's a great feeling. :)

So I have no IDEA how many cals I'm burning...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    So are you saying you do high intensity training with short rests all the time?