Recumbent bike and weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• kingsarge
    Options
    Um... the body burns calories during sleep, so OF COURSE it burns calories while exercising in the recumbent position
  • nwg74
    nwg74 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Due to medical reasons, I can't do any exercise other than walking and the exercise bike. I started with the recumbent bike a couple of years ago. It was bought before that but didn't take it seriously for very long. I lost most of my weight on it and now I am a lot lighter, I have a upright bike. The recumbent bike broke as it was too hard to peddle. I ended up getting a second bike off Gumtree for £20 and I am using that now.
  • IIISpartacusIII
    IIISpartacusIII Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience losing weight using a recumbent bike for exercise alone?

For the last week I have used mine 4 days a week, doing about 10 miles per day, and I want to continue with this routine. I am wanting to lose ideally about 60 pounds eventually. I aim to strictly stick to my daily caloric limit also of course too. I hope this will be enough!

Any info and personal experiences with doing this?

Steady state cardio requires you to invest a lot of time and get very limited results. Recumbent bikes do however afford you the opportunity to do some HIIT cardio that can help you get what you want. A grueling 14 minutes a day could save you a lot of time.

Here's an interesting podcast / internet radio segment on HIIT:

http://webtalkradio.net/internet-talk-radio/brink-zone-radio/
  • Yarnball78
    Options
    I'm not sure how old this topic is, But when I had first gotten my recumbent cycle I rode it 99 minutes (meter maxes at 99) every day for 4 months. Difficulty 7 of out 8 at 80 rpm. I lost 80 lbs. and that 80 lbs. never came back (still not and its been probably 6 years) I never changed my diet, I didn't quit smoking, I didn't quit drinking, the weight just stayed off. So yes, you can lose weight with a recumbent cycle in the recumbent position (this was the only option I had for machines because of my back being so messed up) I do suggest some HIIT sessions (I didn't know about HIIT back then) The proper way to do HIIT is only to go as fast as you can (as fast as you can) for a short time 30-60 seconds, then give your body enough time to fully ( I stress fully) recover from that before you do it again.
  • shellyruth
    shellyruth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Due to back and hip issues my doctor recommended me to get the Recumbent bike. I am praying it helps me to lose weight too. I will be trying the high intensity intervals with the bike. But I really have to start very slow and stay steady. I would love to know how you are doing with your weight loss on this exercise regime.

I just bought a Recumbent bike off the Walmart website for $169. This bike is called eXerpeutic Therapeutic Fitness. This bike had over 350 4-5 star comments and maybe 1-2 lower stars. They delivered it to my home within about 1 week from the order date to getting the bike. The bike has an instruction manual which was very helpful. The bike came in one box, with several large pieces to put together and about 100 small pieces to put together. The bike once put together is very heavy. I am a 61 yr old obese women with autoimmune diseases that made me retire 4 years early. I am also not mechanically inclined. If you order online, accept the fact that you may need help getting it off the ground. Thankfully my dear son is here and willing to help with those kinds of things. Best of luck to you.