Suggestions for low cal gravy (white)?

NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
Thinking about making some chicken fried steak and gravy one of these days for dinner. I can cut back with lean beef, homemade break crumbs...then I get to gravy....

Any suggestions?

Replies

• sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,493 Member
    bump I would love some ideas myself
  • degausspdx
    degausspdx Posts: 25 Member
    Non fat evaporated canned milk instead of cream. Maybe arrowroot for thickening agent vs. flour. and TVP breakfast sausage?
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    If you're eating chicken fried steak, I would think low calorie gravy would be the least of your concerns.

Cook it the good and greasy way, work out hard, and make it fit in your calorie goals. Some things just should not be healthified!
  • Indy_Mario
    Indy_Mario Posts: 532 Member
    Hmmmm
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    If you're eating chicken fried steak, I would think low calorie gravy would be the least of your concerns.

Cook it the good and greasy way, work out hard, and make it fit in your calorie goals. Some things just should not be healthified!
    I like this idea, somethings can't be tweaked! just plan for it, enjoy it, and work out hard!!
  • OrionMama
    OrionMama Posts: 19 Member
    I am vegetarian and make a simple white gravy with soymilk, usually with veggie sausage and biscuits. I usually just start with some butter in the pan for the "fat",add soymilk, then mix my flour / soymilk roux sp? And add that slowly to the pan. Then bring to a boil to thicken, just like regular gravy. I'm sure you could search for a vegetarian white gravy and find something suitable!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    After you are done cooking the chicken.
    Pour off the oil and add 3 Tbls. of smart balance, 1 garlic clove, 1 chicken boulion cube and let cook until you smell the garlic.
    Add 2 Tbls. of whole wheat flour and cook for a min.
    After flour is cooked add 1 cup of low or non fat milk. Cook until thick. Use a wisk so no lumps
    Add Cayenne or Black Pepper to taste.
    The less you use the lower the cal's.
    You'd have to enter it to get the exact #'s
  • jessicanottingham
    jessicanottingham Posts: 22 Member

Amen!!
  • Ok the way I usually make gravy: Take drippings add water. In a separate bowl mix vegetable oIl and flour till you have a thick paste. Add paste to drippings and let it start to boil. Stir constantly. Add more paste to thickness desired.
    Pepper to taste.
    The way I am doing it for Thanksgiving: Use fat separator to get oil out of drippings. Then use Olive oil and wheat flour to make paste. Add less paste and boil and pepper to taste. Eat less gravy ;O)
    My weakness is gravy but the point is u can make it healthier. I can make awesome gravy from any meat drippings but I will ahve some on Thankgiving :OP
  • Ok the way I usually make gravy: Take drippings add water. In a separate bowl mix vegetable oIl and flour till you have a thick paste. Add paste to drippings and let it start to boil. Stir constantly. Add more paste to thickness desired.
    Pepper to taste.
    The way I am doing it for Thanksgiving: Use fat separator to get oil out of drippings. Then use Olive oil and wheat flour to make paste. Add less paste and boil and pepper to taste. Eat less gravy ;O)
    My weakness is gravy but the point is u can make it healthier. I can make awesome gravy from any meat drippings but I will ahve some on Thankgiving :OP

Ps The paste guarantees no lumps. Swear on my life!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    You can blend in onions to thicken a gravy.
  • Thinking about making some chicken fried steak and gravy one of these days for dinner. I can cut back with lean beef, homemade break crumbs...then I get to gravy....

Any suggestions?
    Packaged gravy, just add water,, I did that the other day and was suprised its calories is very low.