Who Does HIIT training

Options
2»

Replies

• TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill - I don't think it's dangerous.

I either do flat HIIT or Hill HIIT. My MAX is 10.5 for 60 sec and my low is 3.9 for 90 sec. I do jump off the treadmill after my max and then just lower it to 3.9 - it takes about 2 seconds to lower the speed.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ~ hadnt thought about it that way ~ I've been doing the stationary bike, lvl 10 and keeping the speed as up as I can. I do have to stop for a few seconds, but not a whole min, I'd say probly 45 going all out 15 resting. It doesnt feel like much of a rest tho LOL. I'm breaking a sweat and my legs are screaming when I'm done. I do only go 5 to 6 min's tho and I cant go any more.

When I go tonight I'm going to see if I cant push a lil more, and rest some between. The inches are coming off, but not lbs so much. An the inches are slow :) I'm also going to push really hard to peddle faster, see what happens.

tluvk ~ my heart rate goes up LOL ~ but I know what you mean about going up then back down :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill - I don't think it's dangerous.

I either do flat HIIT or Hill HIIT. My MAX is 10.5 for 60 sec and my low is 3.9 for 90 sec. I do jump off the treadmill after my max and then just lower it to 3.9 - it takes about 2 seconds to lower the speed.

I guess I should have said that its dangerous for me due to my sometimes lack of coordination (especially when I'm fighting to breathe). during some of my boot camps, in addition to shorter sprints outside, we will do a quarter mile "sprint" on the treadmill between resistance circuits. I've almost busted my butt jumping to the side of the treadmill when going fast. soooo, if someone is about as coordinated as I am, it might be somewhat dangerous ;)
  • TluvK
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ~ hadnt thought about it that way ~ I've been doing the stationary bike, lvl 10 and keeping the speed as up as I can. I do have to stop for a few seconds, but not a whole min, I'd say probly 45 going all out 15 resting. It doesnt feel like much of a rest tho LOL. I'm breaking a sweat and my legs are screaming when I'm done. I do only go 5 to 6 min's tho and I cant go any more.

When I go tonight I'm going to see if I cant push a lil more, and rest some between. The inches are coming off, but not lbs so much. An the inches are slow :) I'm also going to push really hard to peddle faster, see what happens.

tluvk ~ my heart rate goes up LOL ~ but I know what you mean about going up then back down :)

Tegan - I would suggest you actually bring your resistance up a bit, instead of trying to pedal faster at level 10. What you should be looking at is your watts - do you know where those are on the bike monitor? Because I don't have an idea of your level of fitness or your size, it's hard for me to say what to shoot for, but off the cuff, I'd tell you to shoot above 200 watts for your max and then bring yourself down to 150 or so for your break. You should try to pedal at resistance 12 with speeds above 85 for 30 seconds.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I mentioned dangerous to jump off in more of a disclaimer capacity. Wouldn't want to tell everyone to do that and people get hurt. More at your own risk type of thing.
  • TluvK
    Options
    I mentioned dangerous to jump off in more of a disclaimer capacity. Wouldn't want to tell everyone to do that and people get hurt. More at your own risk type of thing.

Good point.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i would think it be bad for a newbie who might not be as fit to jump in at 100%. esp if they have issues with health. some ppl might need to start out lower like giving max of 7 effort (1-10) and 90 sec breaks. then work their way up. but yes the breaks are half the point of hiit. half low, half high. you'de keel over if you did that hard the whole time.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options

Tegan - I would suggest you actually bring your resistance up a bit, instead of trying to pedal faster at level 10. What you should be looking at is your watts - do you know where those are on the bike monitor? Because I don't have an idea of your level of fitness or your size, it's hard for me to say what to shoot for, but off the cuff, I'd tell you to shoot above 200 watts for your max and then bring yourself down to 150 or so for your break. You should try to pedal at resistance 12 with speeds above 85 for 30 seconds.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I'll try that when I go tonight. 10 resistance has been enough that I 'feel' it without feeling like I'm peddling thru mud, but I can still go fairly fast. It'll be interesting to see if going up on resistance doesnt force me to slow down more so than before.
  • harley_rose
    Options
    I am going to look at getting an Elliptical this winter, the treadmill is what I own so it is giving me results I am losing inches, I was at a plaque for a while so now it is moving again