Cardio that won't hurt my knees?

Options
I started 2 weeks ago and I do mostly walking videos by Leslie Sansone.
My right knee hurts a lot lately, I'm not sure if the exercising is causing it or something else, but I want to continue to exercise.
What can I do that is a good calorie burning exercise that won't hurt my knees?
I still want to do my Leslie Sansone videos too, how often or not often should I do them so I don't work my knees too much?

Replies

• lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    Options
    Swimming
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    You aren't wearing those TONER shoes (Sketchers and some others make them)?
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, Bike (outside or stationary), walk, swim, low impact dance.
  • lillgurly16
    Options
    Try zumba... there is high impact and low impact... i have bad knee's too (hurdles in high school) and it give me a great work out!!!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    elliptical, cycling, swimming :D
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    I use the elliptical because of my bad hip
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Research "chair aerobics" and "chair exercises." YouTube has some good videos :)
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    swimming and visiting a doctor.
  • ctroxell2011
    Options
    Spinning, bike, rowing
  • alliekat840
    Options
    You can do kickboxing or squats with punches, that gets cardio with low impact on lower body. Also, make sure you do circles with your knees before you work out to open them up. Every pound lost is 4 pounds of pressure taken off your knees!!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have horrible arthritis in my knees and this is what I do:
    30 day shred
    Dancing
    Low-impact walking
    Stationary Bike
    Swimming

That is what I do, and I have noticed less pain. Sometimes the elliptical can work like others mentioned, but for me it has only caused more pain into my knees than anything.
  • Bretto
    Bretto Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First make sure you are wearing "good" shoes not cheap old ones. A good pair of shoes are worth every penny. Go to a good shoe store and get fit for the right kind of shoe. I know when my knees start hurting it is because my shoes are wearing out, (even though they look fine on the outside).

I would also suggest swimming. It truely is a great workout even though you don't sweat. If you don't swim, try the eliptical and stationary bike. When you use the bike, make sure you have your position set up correctly (have a spin instructor show you), otherwise that can cause your knees to hurt.

Good luck!
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Cycling helps. Also take glucosamine and chondroitin.
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    i do the elliptical ALL the time, got a bad wheel as well, you get a helluva burn.
  • Bigwrick
    Options
    I have found that Stairmaster does not bother my knees but it is limited to the Starimast brand of machine. For calories burned this will be a bigger pay off than treadmill or eliptical. Spinning classes can also be very good. Swimming would be the absolute zero impact but you may not have access to a pool. If walking or running is what you really enjoy, make sure you have good shoes. Light weight shoes made for walking or running. I would stay away from the "fad" type "shape up" shoes. My wife got a personalized fit on her shoes - you might look into that, it isn't as expensive as you might think. Hope this is helpful.
  • lisaritter1519
    lisaritter1519 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Are you taking time to do the stretching at the end of the workouts? Or if there isn't a good, thorough stretch at the end of the workoutI would suggest adding one. Often times knee pain is due to tight muscles in the hips, quadriceps, and hamstrings. Do stretches for those muscles and make sure to also stretch your iliotibial band and your calves-you can google some good stretches for all of these areas. These are things you definitely want to stretch after a workout-especially walking, running, or step aerobics. That should help aleviate most knee pain.

HTH!
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    What he said:) I vote for Swimming and Cycling!
    I have found that Stairmaster does not bother my knees but it is limited to the Starimast brand of machine. For calories burned this will be a bigger pay off than treadmill or eliptical. Spinning classes can also be very good. Swimming would be the absolute zero impact but you may not have access to a pool. If walking or running is what you really enjoy, make sure you have good shoes. Light weight shoes made for walking or running. I would stay away from the "fad" type "shape up" shoes. My wife got a personalized fit on her shoes - you might look into that, it isn't as expensive as you might think. Hope this is helpful.
  • Hericksen
    Hericksen Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Nope. I have some but I never wear them and haven't worn them in months.

I want something I can do at home because I'm a stay at home mom and can't go to gym unless I have somewhere for my kids to go (I'd want free or cheap and that's hard to find).
    I don't have any exercise equipment at home other than some 3 lb weights and an aerobic step. My husband wants to buy an elliptical though. I think it would be fun to have an exercise bike too.
  • mccgivens
    Options

Worst shoes I ever bought!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    The treadmill kills my knees, but the elliptical is my best friend!