Dislocated shoulder

Options
I dislocated my shoulder almost 20 years ago falling down some stairs. I got over it, and thought it was done. About two years later, I stretched my arm out trying to reach something far away and I could feel it starting to come out again. Then sometime later, my dog yanked it out trying to get somebody.
Last night I took my son to the gym to work out after wrestling and when I was reaching up to grab the handles of the pull up machine it popped out. This time a person had to help me put it back in.
Is there an exercise to help with this. I am going to make an appt with the doctor, but I thought if somebody out there has the same problem, what can be done.

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I dislocated my shoulder almost 20 years ago falling down some stairs. I got over it, and thought it was done. About two years later, I stretched my arm out trying to reach something far away and I could feel it starting to come out again. Then sometime later, my dog yanked it out trying to get somebody.
    Last night I took my son to the gym to work out after wrestling and when I was reaching up to grab the handles of the pull up machine it popped out. This time a person had to help me put it back in.
    Is there an exercise to help with this. I am going to make an appt with the doctor, but I thought if somebody out there has the same problem, what can be done.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Crappy about your shoulder, puts a damper on your exerisice. I have no knowledge for you.....just be careful, does it hurt now?
  • icandoit
    Options
    Crappy about your shoulder, puts a damper on your exerisice. I have no knowledge for you.....just be careful, does it hurt now?

It is sore. I iced it and took some ibproufen. It doesn't hurt anything like it did when I first did it. I was in a sling for a week. Now, it is like an annoying throb.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options

It is sore. I iced it and took some ibproufen. It doesn't hurt anything like it did when I first did it. I was in a sling for a week. Now, it is like an annoying throb.

Oh, I am sorry for that. I am a wuss when it comes to pain. Take care and I hope you find out how to help repair it.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    :sad: no knowledge either. Hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: ~karen
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    Sure hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hi Icandoit...message Songbyrdsweet...she will probably know.

So sorry about your shoulder Honey...hope it heals up for you soon!

Friend,
    Fat Dancer
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Doctor, doctor, doctor.

Maybe even a session with a PT?

I too have a "slippy" shoulder, and I concentrate on working the surrounding muscles with side arm raises and over head press.

Oh yeah, did I mention the doctor? (just want to make sure you get it taken care of. . . pain is no one's friend.) You may have injured something in the surrounding tissues. (mine has slipped out and I've not had pain associated with it, but that's just me)

Hope you feel better soon.:flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    Options
    Sure hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou:

Nice bike Julie-Isn't it the best riding on back and forgetting about all our worries and cares......Then the trip comes to an end.

Thanks all.
  • icandoit
    Options
    Hi Icandoit...message Songbyrdsweet...she will probably know.

So sorry about your shoulder Honey...hope it heals up for you soon!

Friend,
    Fat Dancer

Thank you, I will do that right now!! Nice seeing you.
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    sorry to hear about your shoulder, I have heard that once dislocated it can be more prone to repeat so may have to get doc to give you some targeted excercises for it. Hope it gets well soon.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hey icandoit :smile:

What are you doing here?!? Go to the doctor! :tongue:
    I am somewhat familiar with shoulder problems from a couple classes in athletic training and safety, but I'm no expert on that. However, I do know that once you dislocate your shoulder, you stretch the ligaments and tendons out, which makes it easier to dislocate or sublux (a partial dislocation), which is what it sounds like you did at the gym. You will have to immobilize your shoulder for several weeks and keep taking anti-inflammatories. Go to a PT as well. I have also subluxed my left shoulder and it is still much weaker than the right over a year later because I couldn't afford the therapy, so I treated it myself. My dad dislocated his so many times that it sometimes falls out of joint while he moves in his sleep. If you can, put it in a sling until you can get to a doc...avoid overhead movements because that can inflame the fluid filled sac in your shoulder and cause further pain.
  • icandoit
    Options

I am somewhat familiar with shoulder problems from a couple classes in athletic training and safety, but I'm no expert on that. However, I do know that once you dislocate your shoulder, you stretch the ligaments and tendons out, which makes it easier to dislocate or sublux (a partial dislocation), which is what it sounds like you did at the gym. You will have to immobilize your shoulder for several weeks and keep taking anti-inflammatories. Go to a PT as well. I have also subluxed my left shoulder and it is still much weaker than the right over a year later because I couldn't afford the therapy, so I treated it myself. My dad dislocated his so many times that it sometimes falls out of joint while he moves in his sleep. If you can, put it in a sling until you can get to a doc...avoid overhead movements because that can inflame the fluid filled sac in your shoulder and cause further pain.

Thank you-I am going at 11:00. I do have it in a sling. The discomfort is going away.
    Thanks
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

Thank you-I am going at 11:00. I do have it in a sling. The discomfort is going away.
    Thanks

I'm glad to hear that :smile:
  • maybeoneday
    Options
    hope you get better
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Aw Re-Re!

I hope you're feeling a little better today.
    I did a search and this is what I came up with:

Mobility Exercises (Disclocated Shoulder)

Pendular Exercises
    The first exercises often consist of 'pendular exercises' – so called because the pattern of movement is similar to that of a pendulum. This involves either standing and leaning onto a bed or chair, or lying with the affected arm dangling over the side of the bed, and making small, circular patterns with your arm. With children this can be made more interesting by drawing circular patterns on a piece of paper. The movement should be slow and controlled, and you should be able to start with smaller circles and as your strength improves, progress to larger circles.

Active Assisted Movements
    Once the shoulder has started to heal, your therapist may start you doing active assisted exercises. This involves you using your good arm to assist the injured arm through the range of movement. Some good examples of this include:

Abduction/Adduction

Holding onto a broomstick with both hands shoulder width apart and using the good arm to push the injured arm out to the side, and back towards the body

Flexion/Extension

Lying on your back or seated in a chair, grip the hand of your injured side with the good side, and slowly and gently bring the arms up and towards your head, and if you feel comfortable, over the head. If at any time you feel like the shoulder is going to pop out, stop and return to the resting position.

Rotation

Using the broomstick, this time keep your elbows into your side, and just allow the stick to move to the left and right in front of you.

Active Exercises
    These involve you using your muscles against gravity, and are working towards you gaining full use of the shoulder again. These involve you practicing all the movements you would expect from the shoulder – Flexion, Extension, Abduction, Adduction, Internal and External Rotation.

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/shoulder/dislocated_shoulder/dislocated_shoulder_mobility.php
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Sounds painful to me!
    I came close to dislocating my shoulder the other day while snowboarding. Luckily I only pulled the inside muscle. It still bothers me a bit though. I'm on such a high from losing weight that I don't like to take a day off anymore from exercising, but when your shoulder screams you have to listen!
    Take care of yourself!!
  • icandoit
    Options
    Thanks all.
    It is so nice having a husband that works in a hospital....Red Carpet treatment:love:
    No pulls or tears. No stopping the gym. He wants me to not use the machines that I will have to grab and pull down for 7-14 days. He wants me to do a lot of the things Joanna posted-thank you
    Swimming is also great. I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life.
    He gave me some pain pills in a little envelope that I think I will avoid.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Thanks all.
    It is so nice having a husband that works in a hospital....Red Carpet treatment:love:
    No pulls or tears. No stopping the gym. He wants me to not use the machines that I will have to grab and pull down for 7-14 days. He wants me to do a lot of the things Joanna posted-thank you
    Swimming is also great. I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life.
    He gave me some pain pills in a little envelope that I think I will avoid.

Very welcome Renee!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,
    I broke my arm and dislocated my shoulder 7 years ago, took care in the rehab, all the things listed and one with a towel, dropped it over my good shoulder with my good arm and grabbed it behind my back with the bad one and pulled gently, so I could get the range of motion for reaching behind me. I have only had the odd twinge or two over the years since, do I have to worry about it popping out now? I would think those muscles and veins and stuff are all pretty much back in place. how long will it take you to get back into the normal range? will you ever regain 100% of your range of motion? I rarely even think about it when I lift or stretch, what should I look out for or be more aware of? can you cardio on the bike or something instead of weight training? don't hurry yourself, as I am sure you won't, even if you are tempted to rush things along. hope you get all better soon. :flowerforyou:
    RJ