New to MFP/Living Abroad

Options
Hey everybody! I'm new to the community! I signed up because I've just moved to France and was trying to practice a healthier lifestyle, so I thought I might as well start keeping track of exercise and calories! I've only tracked today so far- quite a challenge trying to log all these French brands, and converting from metric to standard!

I'm looking for steady weight loss and a general increase in my fitness level! I am more active during the day here (I live on the third floor, no elevator, lots of walking around for groceries, to and from the laundromat). I figure if I'm making all these other big changes in my life, I can also commit to weight loss, for real this time. Like it says in my profile, I have generally positive self-image, but I'm tired of still getting winded by stairs! And the sweat! French people never seem to sweat.

Anyway, nice to meet you! I'd love to make lots of friends here! Maybe some Frenchies, maybe some other expats?

Replies

• MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! I used to live in France for almost 2 years. Not sure I could help much on the brands anymore as I've got a mind like a sieve. (I'm an ex-expat though as I'm back in the States now after our final move from Scotland). I lost quite a bit of weight before the hubs and I moved to France (across the border from Geneve). Even with the breads and pastries made by the hands of gods, I managed to keep the weight off whilst there through all the walking we had done. But, *dun dun DUN* I'd gained a lot of it back from being infected with pregnancy and the laziness that ensued. ;) I'm on my way back to how I want I want to be now though...

Feel free to add me if you'd like. :)
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    HA. Infected with pregnancy. Yeah, I noticed that even with my daily bread (oh good lord the bread here) I came in under my calories, and I avoid the pastries (and the friggin' Super Cookie from this chain of bakeries that is unnnnngh) unless it's a special occasion. Plus you do so much walking here. I feel like it'll be easy to maintain, harder to shed. I'll be happy to add you!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    That wouldn't be Paul (the bakery), would it? I'd have to run by there on the way out of the market with our weekly shopping. Those macarons. Oh my. Okay... going to go think about salad now.
  • rocketmouse
    Options
    Haha no! I've only seen Paul's in train stations. There's one called La Mie Caline that makes these crazy good cookies. They even make one with speculoos... Sigh. Worth it, about once a month.
  • cariliz
    Options
    Welcome to France!!! Like you, I am new to MFP, as of today....however, I live in Germany. Been here a year and love it. The European foods are soooo tempting and yummy. I am trying to drop the weight that I have accumulated in the last six years. Feel free to add me and welcome.
  • rocketmouse
    Options
    Germany! I'm going to visit Berlin and Cologne for Christmas, I have already figured that I'll be trying the sausages and gluhwein! If that's my entire calories for the day, so be it. Christmas markets! Thanks, I'll be happy to add you :)
  • cariliz
    Options
    Ahhhhhh, The gluhwein is AMAZING....and w/ a shot of amaretto...even better. You will love it.....even if it is your calories for the day...lol. I can't wait to hit the Cologne Christmas market and Nuremberg...heard they are both fabulous! Good luck on your journey!
  • EmYounginTonga
    Options
    I am also living abroad, I am in the South Pacific. It has been very hard for me to learn the metric system, at least on the meters now - I can make it work... however all the measurements, I have not yet conquered. I am working on it though!

I sometimes feel so much like a foreigner - it is nice to have a place of comfort from the island.

cheers,

Em