Pregnancy...

Options
So I'm 99% positive I'm pregnant, I just need to take a test to confirm it :)

I was wondering if it's okay to still do ab exercises (crunches, sit ups, etc) during the first trimester or not. I wasn't very active during my first pregnancy so I don't know what's okay and what's not lol

Replies

• sryan8408
    Options
    Don't do it. I know that getting your body temperature up during pregnancy can harm the baby's development. If you weren't very active before the pregnancy, your doctor will probably recommend to keep it to just walking.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • wannababyH
    Options
    Please ask your doctor for medical advice.

Some people *cough cough* don't know what they're talking about.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Congrats :)
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    YAY!!!

And yes consult your physician.....:flowerforyou:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I know that getting your body temperature up during pregnancy can harm the baby's development. If you weren't very active before the pregnancy, your doctor will probably recommend to keep it to just walking.
    Uhh they're talking about getting your body temperature up to an unsafe level, which exercising would not do. You can workout while pregnant. Doing crunches won't raise her temperature any more than walking.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    always ask your dr. doing any kind of ab-area "crunches" etc can lead to a separation of your stomach muscles while pregnant. (not always, but can) your hormones change drastically causing differences in your joints, etc. other exercise is great, but again, ask your dr. congrats, by the way! :smile:
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Congrats! My doctor was ok for ab exercises until the belly started to stick out. You may have different restrictions than I had. Walking and swimming were the highest recommendations from my doctor, but your situation is not mine. Your doctor will have to advise.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    How funny because I am going to buy a test tonight....

No sit ups but you can safely exercise through your entire pregnancy as long as theres no complications and your doctor approves. Pretty much anything you were doing before you can do through the pregnancy (except those sit-ups/crunches!). Just don't try anything new or crazy of course :wink:

If you are new to exercise then yes walking is great and I have a few pregnancy DVDs. One is from Crunch Fitness, another is yoga. Baby fetuses love the rocking motion and again, as long as its a normal pregnancy exercise has many many benefits to you and your baby.

But yes, definitely talk to your doctor first!!
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    Congrats! I just found out I'm pregnant today :happy: I just called my doctor because I had the same question and she told me I can keep doing what I'm doing now! But definitely still call your doctor :smile:
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    (except those sit-ups/crunches!).
    I'm confused where this is coming from. You can do situps and crunches during pregnancy. You aren't going to hurt the baby. It will become difficult as you get bigger, and at that point you should stop. But keeping your abs strong is going to benefit you after you have the baby.
  • chicagocubsfan23
    Options
    I'm confused where this is coming from. You can do situps and crunches during pregnancy. You aren't going to hurt the baby. It will become difficult as you get bigger, and at that point you should stop. But keeping your abs strong is going to benefit you after you have the baby.

I agree. My doctor said sit ups might be uncomfortable after awhile, but they're ok to do
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna be testing this weekend if aunt flo doesn't show up. Looks like a new pregnancy group might be about to start up
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have no past history of preterm labour, pregnancy complications, bleeding or high blood pressure - you can certainly still exercise, keep up with what you have been doing and even increase as you get fitter. You should make sure to keep very well hydrated and your intensity should allow you to still hold a conversation. Keeping fit is the best thing you can do for yourself and your baby. Its also a great time to work on your core/ab/back muscles before your belly starts to grow (crunches, planks etc), your abs and uterus have nothing to do with each other at the moment. Listen to your body, stop if something hurts, causes cramping, spotting or if you get dizzy. As you grow you need to be aware that your joints become looser (due to the hormones in your body that allow your body to accomodate a growing baby) and your balance won't be what it used to be.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Ladies, please consult your doctor. Everyone is different, and there might be circumstances that may not allow you to do certain exercises.

Feel free to joing the Fit, Fabulous Pregnancy Board. It's awesome.
  • roxypoptart
    roxypoptart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    always ask your dr. doing any kind of ab-area "crunches" etc can lead to a separation of your stomach muscles while pregnant. (not always, but can) your hormones change drastically causing differences in your joints, etc. other exercise is great, but again, ask your dr. congrats, by the way! :smile:
    yeah i did ab excerises while pregnant and have an ab seperation it sucks :(
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You aren't supposed to lay on your back at all after the first trimester, and how do you do crunches or sit ups without laying on your back?
  • sryan8408
    Options
    Please ask your doctor for medical advice.

Some people *cough cough* don't know what they're talking about.

*cough cough* I do know what I'm talking about.

The Problems to Watch Out For:

Check with your health care provider before starting an exercise program. For most pregnant women, exercise is very beneficial, but for women who have a high-risk pregnancy or are at risk for pre-term labor, exercise should be closely monitored by your health care provider to make sure that exercise poses no additional threats to you or your baby.

When you exercise, the blood flow shifts away from your internal organs (including your uterus) to give your muscles, lungs and heart more oxygen. If you exercise too strenuously, you can restrict oxygen from your uterus. Make sure to stick within a recommended heart rate level to ensure that your baby is getting the oxygen he or she needs.

As your pregnancy progresses, your center of balance shifts, making falls more likely. Participate in activities such as swimming, walking, or low-impact aerobics, that do not put you at additional risk to slip or fall. Avoid such activities as downhill skiing, horseback riding, mountain climbing, and contact sports (like football or soccer) that could put you at risk for an injury or a fall.

Exercise causes an increase in your body temperature, which can affect the baby's development. Use caution when exercising in hot weather and always make sure that you're getting plenty of fluids when exercising. Your body temperature should stay below 101°F.
    http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/effectsofexerciseonpreg.html
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

I was always told by medical professionals and have read is better to stay away from those exercises but as I stressed to OP, go talk to your doc first.

Also, you don't have to do even 1 crunch to have six pack abs. I did nothing but running and thats how I had gotten my six pack. You use your ab muscles in just about everything you do and there are plenty of other exercises a person can do to target their abs.