Calories vs. Portion size

Options
I'm curious to learn of others' experiences regarding going purely by portion size rather than counting calories. I am wondering whether people are having just as much success focusing on portion control alone. Historically, I've done a terrible job of controlling my portions and counting the calories has been remarkable! I never knew how much I was actually eating. But I've been reading Eating for Life (Body for Life) and the focus is on portions, not cals.

Replies

• kthom
    kthom Posts: 175
    Options
    If you control the portions you will also control the calories. Either way will work fine, whatever is easiest for you.
  • wanetam
    wanetam Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    To me it is one and the same. The only difference is until we learn how to jodge it by naked eye, we log it so we are forced to see how big our portions are.
  • grouch201
    grouch201 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'll say I don't see the difference. By controlling your portions, you're controlling the amount of calories you consume. Pretty simple unless there's something I'm missing.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's a pretty similar concept because I have lowered my calorie intake by cutting my portions, I don't go out of my way to seek out super low calorie items so I can have more quantity of food. What I like about cutting portions is I still get to eat a ton of stuff that I love, I just eat less :)
  • Zumbaqueenbev
    Options
    since i have been on this app it has taught me how to do both and i never thought i could do it but i am i am more aware of how much i eat. :) and like they said itz pretty much the same
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I find that I use both. Portion sizes, and calories. Sometimes, if the calories allow it, I will increase my portions. For example, having a full cup of rice instead of less. By increasing the portion size, I kill my hunger, but stay in my limit.

I also find the calories good in terms of determining exactly how much of a treat I can have. If a portion gives me 300 calories, I`ll halve it, or eat only a third.

And I`m finding the MFP database to be a real education in what and how much to eat. Some things are incredibly high in calories.

Using portions is great when you can`t use a scale and have to eyeball it when eating out.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    I understand that eating smaller portions means eating fewer calories. Maybe I didn't ask my question the way I thought. I wanted to know if folks simply ignored calories and focused only on portion size. How successful have people been in losing weight by not logging cals at all and just attending to portion size, regardless of cals/serving.
  • Leola2011
    Options
    I find that I use both. Portion sizes, and calories. Sometimes, if the calories allow it, I will increase my portions. For example, having a full cup of rice instead of less. By increasing the portion size, I kill my hunger, but stay in my limit.

I also find the calories good in terms of determining exactly how much of a treat I can have. If a portion gives me 300 calories, I`ll halve it, or eat only a third.

And I`m finding the MFP database to be a real education in what and how much to eat. Some things are incredibly high in calories.

Using portions is great when you can`t use a scale and have to eyeball it when eating out.

Gotcha....makes sense.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    To me it is one and the same. The only difference is until we learn how to jodge it by naked eye, we log it so we are forced to see how big our portions are.

Well said