SCAM ALERT!! PLEASE WARN YOUR ELDERLY LOVED ONES!!

Options
dezedeze
dezedeze Posts: 96 Member
Hi everyone,

This is a little off the weight loss topic, but it's serious and horrible enough that I want to spread the word as much as possible. This is a real scam and every elderly person in your life needs to be warned about it!! Sorry for the length in advance.

My husband's grandmother just got scammed out of nearly $14,000 cash last week. It's called the "grandson scam." The perps called her up and pretended to have/be my husband in Rome. He'd been arrested with marijuana and a gun in the car and needed bail money. The "Embassy" told her exactly where to send everything and to keep it a secret from everybody. We figured it out when she called my husband on his cell phone yesterday asking if he was OK and back from Rome...at first we all thought she was really sick, and then I realized that this sounded exactly like a scam I'd heard about on the news...sure enough, his mom checked her credit card and there was a $7000 balance (totally out of character).

The details of this whole thing really turn your stomach...they had "my husband" on the phone to her crying, begging for help and also begging that she not say a word to anyone, etc. Then he got out of jail but got mugged...it just kept going over the course of last week. She went along with it thinking that the family dynamic part of it could be worked out on the other end. The emotional torment of thinking he was in huge trouble and then realizing she's been played is pretty big.

Naturally folks will say that logic should have told her in an instant that my husband would never be smoking marijuana in Rome with guns around...and it also would have told her to get his mom and eventually me involved in this situation if it were real. Also a quick phone call to him would have blown it open. We know this, but these folks are good at what they do. They rope people in and once they have you, they go after you for everything they can get. She does not have cognitive/memory issues either.

Please warn older folks in your life about this. These people are heartless *kitten*, and the only way to stop them is to warn everyone so that nobody else falls for these antics.

Thanks for reading.