Will my belly ever stop hanging?

I've lost almost 65 pounds and I'm now 182.. My stomach still hangs over though. When can I anticipate this not being the case? Anyone else familiar with this and/or found it go away at a certain weight?

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    I haven't had any kids, but I was morbidly obese.

I had an overhanging bit of a pouch, as I've lost more and more weight it has reduced in size and when I started lifting weights and trying to get my bodyfat down it appears to have smoothed somewhat - now its just like a crease at the bottom of my stomach by my hips. I don't know if it will ever go away completely.

It took me a long time to lose my weight and I'm 29 so I don't know if that had an effect on things.

I'm 5'9, I was 286 and now I'm 168lbs
  • dimplzz
    dimplzz Posts: 456 Member

I had an overhanging bit of a pouch, as I've lost more and more weight it has reduced in size and when I started lifting weights and trying to get my bodyfat down it appears to have smoothed somewhat - now its just like a crease at the bottom of my stomach by my hips. I don't know if it will ever go away completely.

It took me a long time to lose my weight and I'm 29 so I don't know if that had an effect on things.

If your profile pic is you, you look FABULOUS!!!

I was almost 190 at my highest weight and I am 5 foot 3. After my first kid, it was almost gone and I got pregnant with my second. I got down to 156 when it was almost gone. This time around I am again at 156 but carry all of my weight in my stomach and I am afraid it would be last to go.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Sometimes the skin will kind of return to the correct location after a weight loss. A lot of people wear compression garments to encourage this. If it doesn't retract back to your body within a year to a year and a half of your weight loss then you may need to get a tummy tuck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    From what i have read, weight lifting and building muscle really helps shrink the skin.
  • comeback0903
    comeback0903 Posts: 114 Member

you look awesome!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    yes it will improve mine is almost completely gone and I`m starting to see the very begining of a six pack :)

I believe its do to my lifting heavy with my strength training / toning work
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 704 Member
    That topic has come up before and one person said that she wore spanx under her workout to hold the stomach in so that your muscles don't have to. When your working out it's like cheating it to think it is that up so your muscles are now working harder. Made sense so I got one of the waist things from Walmart and am now wearing it every workout. I am in the process of losing 28 more pounds so we will see. I have great "fatso" before pictures and when I get to where I want to be I will post them all. Anyway it's worth a shot.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    hehe oh, wow, thanks for the comments everyone!

I've worked darn hard, and I just wanted to let the OP know that with time and determination, you can make it smaller - the rest, I figure I will just need to accept.

xxxx
  • missy5277
    missy5277 Posts: 88 Member
    i think it just depends on the persons body, my highest weight i was 306 got down to 169 at one time a few years ago and it never left!! I am at 229 now and still have it.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 741 Member
    Good to hear! That has been a big concern of mine. I started at 374, CW 300 and GW 265. I still have a ledge hanging over my belt. I've started doing crunches and ab twists to add muscle there and tighten it up.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    I am down from 210 pounds (borderline obese) last year to 177 (borderline normal) and my belly is now much reduced (4-5 inches difference) but hasn't gone away yet completely.