Couch to 5k

Options
I just finished week 2 workout 2 of the couch to 5k. I feel great having completed yet another workout from this program but I can't help but think I'm never going to be able run the entire 5k with no walking breaks at the end of this whole thing. Does anyone else feel this way or felt this way when you first started? I'm sure that's exactly what this program is for to slowly get my body able to do just that but right now it seems near impossible. I have never really been a great runner and that is why I decided to do this. To give myself a challenge. In addition to doing this I do my Jillian workout DVDs and take a cardio dance class once a week.

Replies

• kamoira23
    Options
    I'm at the end of week 4, and i definitely didn't think I would make it as far as I have. I think I might have to repeat a couple of the weeks to build up the endurance, but I'm confident that I can get to running at least a mile non-stop before the year's over. Which is HUGE for me!

Don't give up, do extra weeks if you need to!
  • ellumi
    ellumi Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I made my way all the way through to the end, but started feeling just like you. I had never been "good" at running, and even though it has been a challenge right through to the end, it started to feel more natural and 'do-able' around the fifth or sixth week. I finished the program and now just run for 30 - 35 minutes a day for three or four days a week and LOVE IT!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I felt the exact same way. The night before I had to do the first 20 minute run I cried. I just knew I was going to fail. But you know what? I did it. It wasn't easy, it wasn't pretty, but one step at a time, one block at a time...and when I heard the "ding" you can bet I was was smiling (even though I was in tears!).

Don't worry if you have to repeat weeks either. I did that with week five or six... a couple of times. But now.....I run 3 miles three days a week and I am working my way up to 7 miles slowly but surely.

You CAN do this!!!!
  • mustang3
    mustang3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I will be starting this on Sunday. I'm hoping I enjoy it!
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    You can repeat weeks, as many as you want as many times as you want. Building endurance takes time. I've been researching this because I have NEVER jogged or run for exercise in my life. It will take me a long time I think.....

PS: I am so paranoid about starting that my plan is to do it in the dark :laugh: Waiting for daylight savings this weekend and starting Sunday morning. No one will be about, no one will see me :blushing:
  • galvestongal
    galvestongal Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I did C25k last year and had to quit. Then started it again this year. It is tough at first. But it gets easier. Repeat weeks if you have to, it is meant to be done at your own pace.
  • jermyZ
    jermyZ Posts: 27
    Options
    Its most certainly possible. When i first started i felt the same way. I've completed it and it feels great. One thing that helped me was if a week seemed tough, i'd give the first day a shot, if i couldn't do it, my next run day i would go back to the previous week's day 3 and repeat it a couple of times until i just started feeling a little too comfortable with it, then move on and just push through the new run.
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I thought for sure that there was no way that I could complete the program but it is crazy how your body adapts and you will be suprised how far you can push yourself as long as you stay consistant. Give yourself a rest day in between runs and by the end of week 5 you will feel invincible!. I am currently on my second round of C25K because I am trying to increase my speed and I love it!