prednisone medication

Options
has anyone had to take prednisone for a short period (2weeks) and found any impact on weight loss/gain or appetite changes or energy changes? Very curious.

Replies

• megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    My mom has taken prednisone and it made her hugrier than normal.
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I hate prednisone. :(
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Someone close to me was on it for a few months. Reported that he couldn't tell when he was hungry/full, leading to overeating unless he was very careful.
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    I have been on it many times, and it can act differently each time you are on it.

I haven't need it in years since I went primal (just putting that in).

It can give you great water retention, which you lose once you are off.

For 2 weeks, your biggest concern is tapering off, not going off all at once. It can shock the system and be dangerous to do that. Ask your Doctor to taper you even if he feels two weeks is safe to drop.

Any other effects should vanish once you are off.
  • ashleyxnicole89
    ashleyxnicole89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I took it for a month and I was fine. I also was on it for U.C. So gaining weight was not a concern, or even possible.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My husband was on this for a few of weeks and it completely screwed up his system. He noticed weight gain, water retention (which likely contributed to the weight gain), insomnia at night, lethargy during the day. Symptoms continued four weeks after he quit taking it.
  • reddebsings
    Options
    YES! i was on it for a while - increases appetite and several other side effects that are "detrimental" - i was soooooooooo glad to finally get off of it and get back to normal!
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I bust the buttons off 2 shirts Hulk-style.
    j/k I had no weight-related side-effects.
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    My cousin has been on it for a few months for her migraines and has lost 17-20lbs
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I lost my hearing in my left ear very sudden and the doctor is hoping the prednisone over a 2 wk period will help possibly bring it back. Yes I start on large dose immediately and then after a 14 day period I will slowly taper off...If this doesn't help rid the deafness I may need steriod injections...really scared of the idea. I am researching alternatives on the internet-possibly hyperbaric chamber....not sure of anything else that may bring back hearing from sudden loss- dr thought it was a viral issue. I just don't want my health to backslide because I have vertigo already and headaches from the 1 ear being w/o hearing- and I can't exercise at this time. So to gain weight due to other reason would not be fun. I have been doing so well until this random event! (sigh)
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I've been on it twice. It made me very energetic, with no problem sleeping at night. It did make me hungry, but I really watched what I ate the first time and lost 5 pounds, and no weight changes the second time. It makes your blood sugar go up high, so you're supposed to eat low carbs/sugar, and you can get bloated with it, so need to watch your sodium.

It does affect everyone a little differently though. I work in a hospital and have seen all kinds of different reactions.
  • lucylue21
    Options
    made me gain five pounds
  • alerica1
    alerica1 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Depends on the dosage.
  • Tiggerrick
    Tiggerrick Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I've seen both no changes and weight gain for short periods of time on Prednisone. Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing for sure. Benefits of it usually outweigh the risks though.
  • softballash525
    Options
    YES. I got HUGELY bloated, angry, couldn't sleep, and ate constantly. I had a huge appetite! Whenever I tried to exercise, I just felt like trash and completely sluggish. My ankles and joints were gigantic and sore. I don't think I'd ever go in it again, unless there were no alternatives. Good luck!
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    your prescribing doctor should be able to answer any questions you have about prednisone and side effects. As it can seriously affect your health I suggest you ask them, and let them know what changes / side effects you have when you start taking it.