EXERCISE VS. CALORIES

Options
I try to stick to 1200 calories daily, but when I log in my daily diary and I add my workout in, it says I am thern under 1200, does anybody know if it is true that you should consume more calories when doing a workout?

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Search the topic "eating exercise calories"

And the short answer is yes, you should eat back the calories you burn.

Good luck.
  • _Sonia_
    Options
    Yep! Eat your exercise calories--that way you're getting fitter, you're still losing weight, AND you have enough energy to keep working out! I consider it my reward--I still have the same net calories at the end of the day, so I'm still losing. I know it may seem rather counterintuitive, but it works out just fine.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat back your calories. Do not eat if you are not hungry.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

So if I eat 700 calories worth of broccoli and am full all day I shouldn't eat more?

Makes sense.
  • llfoaa
    Options
    Will this make it harder to lose the weight if I don't eat back the calories?.....
  • ashleighjoy2007
    ashleighjoy2007 Posts: 150 Member
    Options

So if I eat 700 calories worth of broccoli and am full all day I shouldn't eat more?

Makes sense.

LOL ^^Like^^
  • missimperfect
    missimperfect Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow..I really thought you shouldn't eat them back....
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    I try to not look at calories burned as an excuse to eat bad foods. If it was low impact exercise there is a good chance you burned fat as energy which you normally want to keep off your body. I only eat extra if I am actually hungry and then I never eat more than half of the caories I burned...
  • efarrar13
    Options
    Will this make it harder to lose the weight if I don't eat back the calories?.....

You may experience signficant losses at first but then your body will slow your metabolism down. Somedays I eat over...some days like possibly tonight where I still have 1200 calories to eat and it is 11:35PM I won't hit my totals. You are better off eating the calories and getting to daily total that MFP says you should hit for 1-2 lb weight loss.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I try to not look at calories burned as an excuse to eat bad foods. If it was low impact exercise there is a good chance you burned fat as energy which you normally want to keep off your body. I only eat extra if I am actually hungry and then I never eat more than half of the caories I burned...

I don't think anyone was encouraging her to eat bad food...

I eat my exercise calories, and I still lose weight. Right now, I'm down to a little less than a pound a week, but I only have ~10lbs left. I try and fill my exercise calories with something that has a lot of protein/fiber. Like a protein bar, or some tuna, or chicken.

It's really up to you and what works for your body. Every one is different, so experiment with it and see what works best.
    Options
    I eat to make sure that I am retaining my muscle mass. If you are burning a lot of calories and eating little... you will have an increased risk of losing muscle mass D: Which can lead to a "skinny fat" look. Not so attractive
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Makes sense.

Why would you eat half your calories in brocolli in the first place?
    Options

Makes sense.

because broccoli is delicious? I guess I could make it a cauliflower/broccoli mix
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Makes sense.

because broccoli is delicious? I guess I could make it a cauliflower/broccoli mix

I'm not debating that, but if I were to eat 700 calories of it every day, I would probably get sick of it. Variety is the spice of life! :happy:
    Options

Makes sense.

I'm not debating that, but if I were to eat 700 calories of it every day, I would probably get sick of it. Variety is the spice of life! :happy:

Im just giving you a hard time :] Haha xD I think that hunger is not the best way to decide if you should eat or not. You body needs that food!

Oh and I agree xD I actually hate broccoli :flowerforyou: I might be able to eat 700 cals worth of olive oil and onions everyday tho!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

Makes sense.

Im just giving you a hard time :] Haha xD I think that hunger is not the best way to decide if you should eat or not. You body needs that food!

Oh and I agree xD I actually hate broccoli :flowerforyou: I might be able to eat 700 cals worth of olive oil and onions everyday tho!

Ewww! Not an onion eater. :sick:

Oh... and your body knows when it needs food. The feeling of hunger is an involuntary action.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Oh... and your body knows when it needs food. The feeling of hunger is an involuntary action.

People who are new to this need to retrain their hunger signals. The reason they are here is because they "listened to their bodies" until they became overweight...
    Options

Haha I can eat them raw and love the sauteed!

You can be full and still need more to eat tho, which is why I add fats in a lot of my meals to make sure Im getting my calories. If you have a large volume of food for little calories you will feel full, but still may need more nutrients.

Just my take on it. Im not a fan of large calorie deficits because can increase the amount of lean body mass lost D: But I always encourage to find what works for the user! Nothign wrong with experimenting :flowerforyou:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

People who are new to this need to retrain their hunger signals. The reason they are here is because they "listened to their bodies" until they became overweight...

That seems logical, but not everybody ate when they were hungry. Some, if not most, ate when they were stressed, upset, lonely, unhappy, angry or just plain wanted to. Reminds me of the expression "your eyes are bigger than your stomach."

I actually had to take a medication that disrupted the appetite center of my brain. I was on those meds for 3 months and gained 50 lbs. After I came off the meds, my appetite returned to normal, but I didn't lose because I didn't want to. I didn't eat food, I indulged in it. I think that is probably the retraining that really needs to happen. Teaching your brain to know the difference between a needed food and a wanted food.
  • Megan2Project
    Megan2Project Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Makes sense.

So... If you ate 1500 cals of broccoli that would make it more ok?