does it bother anyone else...

Options
When people comment on someone's food diary telling them they did such a great job, but then you look at it, and they didn't even eat 1000 calories that day? & on the message boards everyone is always like YOU HAVE TO EAT AT LEAST 1200 calories!!!!!

I don't know. Just kind of bothers me.

Replies

• lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yes, and were you reading my mind?
  • Leslietheriot
    Leslietheriot Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    What bothers me is when some one has their food journal private and they finish logging for the day and it says they are under their calories for the day and people say good job. How do you know they ate healthy? I could have had one donut and a coke for the day and been under my calories!
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yes it does!! lol One of my biggest pet peeves in fact! Just because someone is under their calorie goal is not necessarily always a good thing if what they are eating is not condusive to a healthy lifestyle....quality is as important as quantity!
  • JaredBergeron
    JaredBergeron Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I could see that point, but also see the perspective that many here are here for the support. They took the time to focus on their goals and I dont have an issue giving an atta-boy for that at all! People are trying different things we may not always agree important to keep motivating each other...
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You know what really bothers me? Mosquitoes.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You know what really bothers me? And flies.

ETA flies.
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I agree and that's probably because those commenting don't look at the diaries. They just want to comment. I read each and every diary of my friends before I comment.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    What bothers me is when some one has their food journal private and they finish logging for the day and it says they are under their calories for the day and people say good job. How do you know they ate healthy? I could have had one donut and a coke for the day and been under my calories!

Just because someone has their diary closed doesn't mean that they don't deserve congratulatory comments though.
    I don't think everyone here has to eat healthy foods, that's a personal choice IMO I congratulate my friends who eat junk food, at least they are trying!
  • Brooke1542
    Brooke1542 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I usually say something positive to my friends that complete their jounal, for the simple fact that they are actually logging and to just be supportive.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yep it really bugs me!!! I also don't comment on people that don't share their diary with me. Like someone said they could have had a coke and a donut and been under their calories. I comment on posts where the person has eaten at least 1200 calories minimum and had a good day. I also help motivate people when I see they had fast food or something on the unhealthy side (as long as it isn't every day) and I will let them know they did great by logging it and being honest. A lot of times that is hard to do!
  • Clever_Girl
    Options
    I'm very much bothered by Ticks
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Hi, yes it does bother me however some people on MFP have situations we may know nothing about and need to be flexible before assuming the worst about them and why they may be consuming lesser calories. For example weight loss surgery patients and people following medical instructions from physicians. So unless someone is eating completely unhealthy and behaving in an unstable or unhealthy way I assume they know what they are doing and will choose to remain supportive.
  • JaredBergeron
    Options
    You know what really bothers me? And flies.

ETA flies.

LOL yea...and that guy that bathed in cologne, but forgot deodorant before he jumped on the treadmill...odd and unpleasant experience
  • judith3
    judith3 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Yea it bother me theres a pretty young girl as one of my friends who has lost almost 70lbs in less than 5 months and ive never seen her diary over 800 calories consumed theres alot of ppl who congratulate her for it but it worries me and some of her other friends who post comments like "looks like you had a better day dont forget to add a banana or an omlett in the morning itll help bring up your daily calories"
  • JaredBergeron
    Options
    I usually say something positive to my friends that complete their jounal, for the simple fact that they are actually logging and to just be supportive.

Agreed, maybe I feel that way because I am not disciplined enough to track much less log my food. More power to those that do! If I deviate from my diet, its to the gym i go to atone for my sins lol
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me...to each their own and I think people feel better when they didn't go over their calories, I know I do. I may not eat the healthiest all the time but I am holding myself accountable, which is why my diary is closed. I don't like people knowing EVERY little thing about what I am doing, but I love the encouragement I get and can give to anyone on MFP. We're all here because we're trying to be healthier...and granted some people may not be eating enough or eating the right things...they're still trying and we need to support and help each other.
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I like cereal. :) That is all.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I totally agree that some people are doing great by just being on here, logging their food and being more accountable then they used to be. Very true! In some cases what they are eating may not be the best choices, but, in the grand scheme of things it may be way better than the choices they used to make. I just try to offer some suggestions and help to those people, and hope they are interested in hearing it out!
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options

Just because someone has their diary closed doesn't mean that they don't deserve congratulatory comments though.
    I don't think everyone here has to eat healthy foods, that's a personal choice IMO I congratulate my friends who eat junk food, at least they are trying!

I eat my fair share of "treats" but I also eat healthy foods. I stay under my calorie goal and that's what is important (and works) for me. My diary is private because I find most people to be too judgmental about what other people choose to put in THEIR bodies.

So. I say congrats if you are under your calorie goal for the day - if you ate McDonald's and drank pop, but stayed under... to each their own I say! :)
  • shawnscott5
    shawnscott5 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I feel the best that I can do is to help people and educate them. I even encourage the ones I see who have an eating disorder and I encourage them to eat more and to eat healthy. I usually do it in a PM as to not embarrass them. If only one person listens, then that was a life that was saved. We can't make decisions for others, but we can help lead them in the right direction.