Food Combining or Natural Eating? anyone else?

Options
Hi Everyone!

New here.

I just wanted to see if anyone does Food Combining or Eats nothing processed? I started this way of eating and I have to say I feel great! The only 2 rules I follow diligently in Food Combining are I never mix my protein with starch, and I eat my foods in the correct order.

I am just wondering what peoples experiences are eating this way. My food detox was HORRIBLE! like a really bad flu, but glad I stuck it out. I'm excited about living this way. We are going to the Fair on Friday though. grrrr LOL I will allow myself 1 eggroll on a stick (i'm a sucker for those, gross I know), the grilled corn, and 1 caramel apple that I am sure to share with my family. I will also be taking a lunch box full of goodies and hummus.

So anyone else?

Glad to be here
Ronney

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Natural eating is a very good lifestyle! I try to eat as clean as I can :]

Food combining is BS though, doesn't matter :]
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I did the food combining approach a few years back and lost a lot of weight. The program I was on had lots and lots of rules. We had protein days, starch days, veggie days and legume days (not just meals). No grains except oatmeal, no corn or corn by-products, no condiments, only sea salt and cayenne pepper to season, no fruit, no dairy, no processed foods, no peanuts, a gallon of water every day etc. There were no calorie restrictions at all. I felt fantastic, but eventually the DH quit and started bringing home pizza and ice cream. I hit a 6 month plateau after losing 56 pounds and finally gave up in the face stalled success and the treats right under my nose. It was also rough at social functions. I gained back all but 4 pounds of that in the past six years.

Good luck with it - I really did feel fantastic while on that program.
  • Rain_Howard
    Options
    Here's what I think. Not only about what you decide to eat or not eat, but also what kind of exercise you do and every other aspect of making yourself healthier. If it works for you, keep doing it. Everyone has 100 opinions, myself included, but they don't matter if it's working for you.

Good luck.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Food combing? WTF??? Sounds strange to me. I say make healthy coices and you will do well
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Food combing? WTF??? Sounds strange to me. I say make healthy coices and you will do well
  • BetterWithAge
    Options
    I have never heard of Food Combining, but am trying to cut out all processed foods. I am not always successful, but getting better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

New here.

I just wanted to see if anyone does Food Combining or Eats nothing processed? I started this way of eating and I have to say I feel great! The only 2 rules I follow diligently in Food Combining are I never mix my protein with starch, and I eat my foods in the correct order.

I am just wondering what peoples experiences are eating this way. My food detox was HORRIBLE! like a really bad flu, but glad I stuck it out. I'm excited about living this way. We are going to the Fair on Friday though. grrrr LOL I will allow myself 1 eggroll on a stick (i'm a sucker for those, gross I know), the grilled corn, and 1 caramel apple that I am sure to share with my family. I will also be taking a lunch box full of goodies and hummus.

So anyone else?

Glad to be here
    Ronney

Eating food in the correct order... whats the science behind this??
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Too bad starchy food has protein in it. Proof people will buy into anything.
  • ColdGlassOWater
    Options
    I definitely benefit from not mixing foods. I keep types separate as well as colors.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Natural eating is a very good lifestyle! I try to eat as clean as I can :]

Food combining is BS though, doesn't matter :]

Agreed pretty much. I eat cleanly too but I do like to pair proteins with good fats and if i eat a carb (oatmeal, sweet potato, etc) I pair it with a protein and good fat.

I try not to eat anything out of a box.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Wow,

didn't expect to get slammed for what works for me! sheesh!

since I have been eating this way, I am not bloating, I have not been sick, I have not even had heartburn, so it may not work for you, But it does work for me. I am thankful for it:)
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Definitely not slamming you - and if it works for you, keep with it!

However, I took some time and did a search over food combining to try to find a scientific basis for it. Maybe my searches were bad, but I couldn't find a single study that substantiated food order as making a difference.

That said, I think there is something to separating them, as it helps you think more about what you are eating, and probably indirectly contributes to better portion control and macro nutrient ratios - which can both have the beneficial effects you mentioned.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    food combining "works" because it is just another tool to make you consume fewer calories than you expend which is the ONLY way to lose weight, however you want to parcel it up.

Good luck with your journey. If it is helpful for you to follow a weight loss plan by introducing extra rules then I wish you well. It is a very difficult thing to sustain long term.
  • RonneyKay
    RonneyKay Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Actually, I started eating this way NOT to lose weight, but because of some gastro issues. Since I started, they all but disappeared. :) I am thankful...
    the weightloss will just be a bonus!
  • corrynegraf
    Options
    Can you tell me about your food plans for any given day? Im trying to start food combining because of some digestive problems but im having trouble getting started. Help would be great! :smile:

message me if you can!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Can you tell me about your food plans for any given day? Im trying to start food combining because of some digestive problems but im having trouble getting started. Help would be great! :smile:

message me if you can!

Epic bump!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Most foods are a combination of protein, carbs and fat already.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Most foods are a combination of protein, carbs and fat already.
    But not chemicals? Right? :wink:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Wow,

didn't expect to get slammed for what works for me! sheesh!

since I have been eating this way, I am not bloating, I have not been sick, I have not even had heartburn, so it may not work for you, But it does work for me. I am thankful for it:)

Way to make a girl feel welcome everyone! :mad:

Like others have said, if it works for you go for it. As long as you are eating a reasonable amount of calories (maximum of 20% below you TDEE [total daily energy expenditure]) then any diet has its pros and cons. It is just a question of how practicle it is to fit into your life.

I tend to eat my meat separately to my carbs, but that's because otherwise it's too tempting to slather sauce on everything.