Portion Control Paying Off

Options
I've noticed that portion control is finally starting to kick in. I'm eating 4 small meals a day, nothing past 7PM.
Doing it this way has really helped me not gorge myself, because I know something else is just around the corner. I'm also trying many different foods during the day instead of the same old thing.
The other day I made my regular serving of oatmeal w/banana and I couldn't finish it all!!! That was amazing to me. Then I started really paying attention and I'm getting full a lot faster. This is exactly what I was hoping for! After each of my older kids my appetite dropped back off immediately, but with the last one...who's almost 5 now, so it's not really her fault, my appetite stayed the same. I knew if I could just get myself used to smaller portions again I would win this fight, and it's happening. Less than 1 month into it.... So for all you newbies out there....shoot for 1 month. If you can hang in there for 1 month, you should be fine.

Replies

• TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I've noticed that portion control is finally starting to kick in. I'm eating 4 small meals a day, nothing past 7PM.
    Doing it this way has really helped me not gorge myself, because I know something else is just around the corner. I'm also trying many different foods during the day instead of the same old thing.
    The other day I made my regular serving of oatmeal w/banana and I couldn't finish it all!!! That was amazing to me. Then I started really paying attention and I'm getting full a lot faster. This is exactly what I was hoping for! After each of my older kids my appetite dropped back off immediately, but with the last one...who's almost 5 now, so it's not really her fault, my appetite stayed the same. I knew if I could just get myself used to smaller portions again I would win this fight, and it's happening. Less than 1 month into it.... So for all you newbies out there....shoot for 1 month. If you can hang in there for 1 month, you should be fine.
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Good for you and good for me to know!:bigsmile: Oh, meant to tell you before, I like your new photo.
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    well thank you!
    I took it a couple days ago when I was just starting to catch this cold and hubby says I look high... lol
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    good job! :flowerforyou:

i started 1/5/09, when did you start? i have noticed a change in my hunger as well and my fullness. its pretty neat and i actually feel like i am getting smaller, although i am not sure HOW much smaller.

guess i'll find out next week at work's weigh in!
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    I agree. I've been learning that portion control is a big part of it. Not necessarily what we eat but also how much. You can have much more variety but just really watch the portions. One thing that amazed me was my training by nutritionist after my heart attack said nuts are a safe snack. Well, I had a few peanuts yesterday and gasped at how many calories YIKES.:noway: Supposedly it is a good fat.......I hope so. Keep it up MFP.:flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    Options
    I joined on 12/30 but I didn't start til New Year's Day. We went out to eat on New Year's Eve and I gave myself a big send-off.
    Started eating better that first week and saw a couple pounds coming off right away. Got an exercise bike that weekend and really started exercising.
  • sherris
    sherris Posts: 112
    Options
    Portion Control at dinner is still an issue i'm trying to work out.....i watch what i eat but my eyes still have not realized what a normal portion size is.....:grumble:

GOOD JOB!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    I joined on 12/30 but I didn't start til New Year's Day. We went out to eat on New Year's Eve and I gave myself a big send-off.
    Started eating better that first week and saw a couple pounds coming off right away. Got an exercise bike that weekend and really started exercising.

i :heart: the big send off! i pretty much did the same thing.
  • becks78
    becks78 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thats great ! so motivating when you see the scale move. I started this week and I have done well I just find I am so hungry from 9:00 pm on and have hunger pains even though I have had my days calories, last night when that happened I chugged a whole bottle of water and that helped. Hoping my appetite will decrese soon like yours, keep up the great work!
  • xtina11179
    Options
    OMG!! Before really seriously getting into this, I had the epitome of an insatiable appetite!!! Nothing ever satisfied me!!! (Can you see how I got the way I did? :laugh: ) Well now, I'm getting used to the idea of this "obsession". I call it an "obsession" because you have to be SO concious of what you're eating so that is all I do; think about eating. :grumble: I am finally getting a hold on my appetite, thank God!! I just can't wait to get to the point where I don't have to think so hard about and it becomes more like second nature. :tongue:
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    Thanks for this! I do appreciate it...

Any thoughts on portions for Dinner (that's my accursed time :grumble:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I do find that I am getting fuller faster too. My problem is that I haven't learned to cook for the right portions yet, I mean, I am used to just pouring a bunch of pasta into the pan until it LOOKS like it's enough!!!! I have to train myself to cook only what we can eat so that there is no going back for 2nds.
    And we have been clearing the table and cleaning the kitchen the minute we are done so there is no walking by and picking!!!!

Yeah us and everyone on MFP!!!!!!

Memaw:drinker: