Heart Rate Monitor question

Options
Hi all, I dug out my hrm that I bought about 5-6 years ago in Nov and got new batteries. Well, I finally used it yesterday! :heart: It synches with the bike at the gym (very cool) and gives me heartrate and timer but no calories like some folks are talking about. Where can I plug in my numbers to get accurate calorie burned? Also, I must be really out of shape as my heart rate was pretty high (good I know) the whole time until cool down.

Any advice would be great as I never got the money's worth out of this so it seems pointless to buy another just for calories to show up on my wrist? Or do the new ones even do that? Anyhoo, I need to know about calorie/heart rate conversion. Thanks!

Replies

• porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I dug out my hrm that I bought about 5-6 years ago in Nov and got new batteries. Well, I finally used it yesterday! :heart: It synches with the bike at the gym (very cool) and gives me heartrate and timer but no calories like some folks are talking about. Where can I plug in my numbers to get accurate calorie burned? Also, I must be really out of shape as my heart rate was pretty high (good I know) the whole time until cool down.

Any advice would be great as I never got the money's worth out of this so it seems pointless to buy another just for calories to show up on my wrist? Or do the new ones even do that? Anyhoo, I need to know about calorie/heart rate conversion. Thanks!
  • porka29
    Options
    Bump
  • Jelybe
    Jelybe Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate monitor should have come with a watch, that's how we track how many calories. I think you are still missing the watch part?
  • porka29
    Options
    No, I have the watch and chest strap, but it only gives the heartrate and a timer...............need to know how to convert time worked out w/heartrate into calories burned
  • fjtcjt
    fjtcjt Posts: 199
    Options
    Here is a formula that you can use. Stick this in an Excel spreadsheet and let it caluculate it for you.

Men: C/min = (-55.0969 + 0.6309 x HR + 0.1988 x weight + 0.2017 x age) / 4.184
    Women: C/min = (-20.4022 + 0.4472 x HR - 0.1263 x weight + 0.074 x age) / 4.184
    weight is in kg

Hope this makes sense. So you will have 3 cells where you input the info, HR, weight and age. Then you type in the formula in a cell starting with =(-20.4.....) and then select the cell for HR and weight and age at the appropriate location.
  • porka29
    Options
    Thank you, I googled what you said and got a calculator someone made based on the same formulas. Yes, I was too lazy to create my own excel spreadsheet :blushing: , but here's the link for anyone interested.

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/?page_id=483