Vinyasa/Power yoga: calories burned?

Anyone else out there love intense yoga classes??

I noticed that if I enter my 75 minute class as "yoga" under cardio exercises, it says I burned 167 calories (at 118 lb). However, I usually do vinyasa or power yoga, which are super intense and movement-oriented, and 167 seems really low for how exhausting the classes are!! I tried calculators on other sites with specific designations for vinyasa yoga, and came up with 348 calories for 75 minutes. This sounds a lot more realistic to me.

Has anyone tried to estimate calories burned for this type of class, using a heart-rate monitor?

Replies

• kateland
    kateland Posts: 160 Member
    Calories Burned
    According to the calorie counter at Health Status, a 140-lb person can expect to burn about 328 calories during one hour of Ashtanga yoga or 554 during vinyasa yoga. Your calories burned depends on several factors, such as your muscle mass and lung capacity.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/297884-calories-burned-during-vinyasa-flow-yoga/#ixzz1ce5HrDko
  • elsham
    elsham Posts: 549 Member
    Yep, it is a lot more realistic. I'm 5'8 at 150 lbs, and my HRM usually says anywhere from 350-400 after an hour of vinyasa.
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    I use my HRM and I burn about 160 calories in 40 minutes, that's reasonably close to your 348 estitmate for 75 minutes.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    I'd use the 348, that sounds about right. I don't know how accurate my HRM is on the less vigorous sessions but an intense session puts me at almost double a basic Hatha stretch. :smile: