hm4's- Tip of the Day

Options
hmo4
hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
RESISTANCE BANDS INCREASE MUSCLE ENDURANCE, BUILD STRENGTH AND CUT FAT IN MIDDLE AGED WOMEN
A study at Appalachian State Unniversity showed that women who trained with resistance bands or weight machines for 10 weeks made similar improvements in their body composition and muscle endurance. Resistance bands increased muscle endurance by 25%, decreased fat by 3% and increased lean mass (mainly muscle) by 2%.
Resistance bands maximimize muscle tension during exercise. It's the time under tension and tension itself that are the important factors for increasing muscle strength which the bands do during the pushing (up-count to 2) and recovery (down-count to 4) phases of weight training exercises. Therefore, they increase strength rapidly.
A Cornell University study showed that the increases were 3X greater in the squat, 2X greater in the bench press, and 3X greater in overall power following resistance band training compared to traditional weight training.
The great features- they're cheap, you can use them at home or when travelling, safe and effective!

Replies

• hmo4
    Options
    RESISTANCE BANDS INCREASE MUSCLE ENDURANCE, BUILD STRENGTH AND CUT FAT IN MIDDLE AGED WOMEN
    A study at Appalachian State Unniversity showed that women who trained with resistance bands or weight machines for 10 weeks made similar improvements in their body composition and muscle endurance. Resistance bands increased muscle endurance by 25%, decreased fat by 3% and increased lean mass (mainly muscle) by 2%.
    Resistance bands maximimize muscle tension during exercise. It's the time under tension and tension itself that are the important factors for increasing muscle strength which the bands do during the pushing (up-count to 2) and recovery (down-count to 4) phases of weight training exercises. Therefore, they increase strength rapidly.
    A Cornell University study showed that the increases were 3X greater in the squat, 2X greater in the bench press, and 3X greater in overall power following resistance band training compared to traditional weight training.
    The great features- they're cheap, you can use them at home or when travelling, safe and effective!
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I used to go to the gym at work and never had issues lifting weights everyday as part of my work out. Now I'm at home and haven't lifted in months! I do tons of cardio, but no strength training. I think I'll go buy some bands soon. I think this is an easy option to add into my week and it'll give me added work out I've been lacking. Thanks for the posting. I think it changed my mind from MAYBE to YES! :smile:
  • hmo4
    Options
    I"ll tell you, I did bicepes and triceps yesterday and I'm sore today! Good for you. Remember, the thicker it is, the more tension. (I could say something really bad-filthy mind).
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Now that my brain is thining...I have some from my knee surgery. I guess I could just use those, but they aren't very long. I was thinking about getting the "rope" style bands, so I can put the around my feet and go from there.

Does the make sense? Have any suggestions?
  • FloridaGranny
    FloridaGranny Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can buy them in different colors. The Red is a medium; the greeen is stronger. I don't use mine much, but after reading that article (thanks, hotmomov4) then I think I'll use them instead of my free weights.............. sounds good!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip, girl!! I have the Beachbody resistance bands and they are GREAT for traveling too! I took mine on vacation to TX a couple months ago. I took the black band, it's the heaviest resistance and then after using it I left it for my brother so I didn't have to bring it home. :bigsmile: It's all about the tension and resistance!