Celery

Options
Some reason I can not find an answer. How many calories are in celery. I went to a website and it said 9 calories a stalk? Is that one long piece or the whole thing itself. All I know is that celery is very low in calories....... So basically how many calories are in a cup of celery?

Replies

• NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Some reason I can not find an answer. How many calories are in celery. I went to a website and it said 9 calories a stalk? Is that one long piece or the whole thing itself. All I know is that celery is very low in calories....... So basically how many calories are in a cup of celery?
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    ugh.....i dont care if it had -500 calories....i hate celery
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I found to answer to my own question... its 1 calorie per strip.. wow now thats low..
    Try celery with peanut butter or lowfat ranch.... I like celery lol
  • astarte09
    astarte09 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I like it with peanut butter or ranch..thats it..but then there is no point in eating it as a low cal snack!
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    actually, from what i've heard, celery is a zero calorie food because it burns more calories trying the digest the fibers in the stalks than it actually has.

its basically water and cellulose
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Celery (especially the leaves) is also a very good natural diuretic if you have a problem with retaining fluid.

Amy:bigsmile:
  • amberca1
    Options
    actually, from what i've heard, celery is a zero calorie food because it burns more calories trying the digest the fibers in the stalks than it actually has.

Yep I heard the same thing. Oneof the lovely "zero- or negative calorie" foods since it takes more for your body to digest it than what in there. I like mine with Marmite or Vegemite (Australian Spread) and I also put it in all my salads.
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    man i guess im gonna have to hold my breath and start crunching on some celery
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

Sooooooo a little celery added to a pan of brownies.......... :bigsmile: :smokin:
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    lol Shannon@:laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Celery has 10 cals per 1 medium stalk (55.0 g)
    Sodium 50 mg.
    Carbs 3.0 mg.
    Fiber 1.0 mg.
    Sugar 1.0 mg.
    Protein 1.0 mg

Calcium 2%
    Vitamin C 8%

16 cals for a cup
  • Super_mom
    Super_mom Posts: 185
    Options
    where did you find the infor on celery, when i looked for it i found
    that it had zero calories
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    where did you find the infor on celery, when i looked for it i found
    that it had zero calories

I googled "how many cals in one stalk of celery'........LOL and it came up with a tons of hits. The One the info above is based on is Whole Foods...the other one I clicked on matched many others.

I click on one and it happened to be Snoops....didn't realize it at the time but anyhow I read it and it said it's a myth that celery has negative cals in it, that someone shared that once and it's hit the ground like wild fire. It talked about it a bit, interesting as I'd heard the very same thing as some of you. That celery is a - in cals because of chewing it. lol

Ok, now that I've read more on it, I feel sorta silly thinking that chewing it will give it no cals..but hey we hear things and we believe them right, especially after hearing them over and over.

I have to say I was surprised it had so many carbs and so much sodium in it for merely one stalk (someone asked if that was the whole thing, no a stalk of celery is one piece from the whole bunch.)...oh well, guess natural sodium occurs more than we realize in foods. Lovely:huh: :laugh:

T...I thought I hated celery too, but now thanks to this thread I have an actually celery craving, but with peanut butter or hummus it would be good, something new to add in to my foods.:flowerforyou:

and yes, I know who in the world has a celery craving?!:blushing: :bigsmile:

FC:heart: