To exercise or not to exercise that is the question!!

Hi everyone! Ok so disclaimer is that I am just now looking at joining a gym...I've been doing Zumba 2 days a week and doing hip hop abs at home and zumba w/ the connect, and some other cardio exercising at home... I have a one week pass to Golds gym to see if I like it there... so all of that being said... I went last night and did the Body Pump class.... which is more of a muscle toning class and today I am extremely sore, my legs, arms, etc of course because it being a toning class... I can tell I worked muscles that I really haven't been working which is a great thing! Picking up my two year old to put her in the car seat today was really hard to do haha! So my question is as sore as I am... do you think I will be fine going back today and just doing cardio, on the elliptical... maybe not doing any weight training today, and then do the weights again w/ the cardio tomorrow? I don't want to overdo it and hurt myself to where I can't go back... but also don't want to waste this pass and had planned on going every day... but I'm so new to really exercising I wanted others opinions on what you would do if it were you... I wish I was rich and could afford lots and lots of sessions w/ a personal trainer b/c I have no idea what I need to be doing etc... so any advice you guys could give me would be great!

Replies

• KimertRuns13_1
    KimertRuns13_1 Posts: 702 Member
    I say go today and do cardio.. treadmill, elliptical or something. And then do a good stretching routine afterwards.

I take BP 3 times a week... T/Thus/Sat. I run on those days as well and do crosstraining on the days between. I'm always sore after BP but find I am less sore if I work the sore muscles out a little.
  • Eponine7
    Eponine7 Posts: 161
    I also say go for the cardio, and plan to get back to strength training/toning tomorrow when you've healed a bit. Drink plenty of water.

Good luck & have fun with it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,881 Member
    You'll feel better and do just fine with just cardio today. It will loosen up any tightness. I'll warn today though.......the soreness will probably be worse tomorrow. But soreness subsides if you are consistent with strength training.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    I agree with the previous posters. Go ahead and get some more exercise in, but if you're really sore, just go to cardio. I usually don't do two heavy resistance training days back to back, but that's HEAVY weight training. Once you're body adapts, you'll be able to go back and do that toning workout the next day, no problem. For now, though, when in doubt, there's always light cardio and lots of stretching to be done :) Good for you for listening to your body :)