Just what IS "Plus Size"??

Options
2»

Replies

• NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I believe the context in which this was said was in the modeling world. If you watch a lot of those shows you'll know that the models that show off what we would call Ladies clothes are size 0 and 00 usually. So on the other side of it if you are an 8 you are considered a plus size model. F***ed up as it is, that is the "ideal" they are shoving down the consumers throats.

Plus size in the US is still considered 16/18+, but even then it depends on the manufacturer. For example I was wearing a Women's 14 at Talbots but they were too big. I went back and asked them what I would wear in the Ladies section and they said probably a 16. So off I went and those fit. It's nice to be back in the ladies section, but some places I still don't fit their clothes and others I do. This morning I pulled out an outfit I hadn't worn in probably 10 years and it's from Kohls size 18 ladies. It's really WAY too big, but I'm wearing it as I don't have many clothes anymore that fit!

Don't let the fashion world dictate what is NORMAL to us. You choose. For me I'll be SUPER happy if I can get back to a size 8 which I think is small! I'll settle for a 10. If you search online you'll find that Marilyn Monroe was purported to be anywhere from a size 12 to 16. I'd settle for looking as hot as she did!
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I was watching some stupid fashion-type show the other day, and this crazy-weird supposed fashion guru was telling his protege that she "had to make her clothes appeal to the 'every-woman'", and that part of this would be to make her clothing fit Plus Size ladies.

Guess what the PLUS SIZE person wore?

A SIZE 8!!!

what the flippin' hell????????????????????????

I almost choked on my halloween candy :wink: :wink:

I always thought plus size was 16 and up.
  • cmbrysonussery
    cmbrysonussery Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Also, "W" sizes are usually cut a standard 4 inches larger than without the W. (Which is about 2-3 Sizes larger)
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    why put a label on people who god made big and beautiful
    Well, I'm tall, can't help that. I'm beautiful, yes. But nobody made me plus sized. I did that all on my own...

I agree, I am tall too, but I'm the smallest I've ever been and I'm still labeled plus so I just wish they would do away with the labels like that. women sizing is women sizing :)
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    psshhh whatever. Size means nothing anyway. I can wear size 4,6, & 8 on any given day. As long as you are comfortable in your own skin and healthy then that's all that matters.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I recently watched an evening news show and they said the "average size woman" was now a size 14! However, it is the least purchased size...this article is about that but not from the actual news show I saw it on... http://www.cleveland.com/style/index.ssf/2010/08/size_14_is_average_american_wo.html

it's because the muffin top look is in and nobody knows how to wear their size lol
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    psshhh whatever. Size means nothing anyway. I can wear size 4,6, & 8 on any given day. As long as you are comfortable in your own skin and healthy then that's all that matters.

have the same costume as you do in your pic! good taste!
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Most high end designers won't make clothing bigger than a UK 12, some go up to a UK 14 and a very small amount might push it up to UK 16.

On the British high street plus size starts anywhere from a UK 14 (sometimes even a UK 12, ridiculous I know) to a UK 20. There are lots of Plus Size only shops that start at a UK 14 over here (Evans, Simply Be)

Now I might get shouted at for my next comment, but have you ever been to a high fashion show? Because if you have you'll have noticed that 90% of the women there are a UK 8 or smaller. And this is high fashion's market. It isn't you or me, because we can't afford to spend £2000 on a pair of jeans. The women that buy these clothes have the money to make themselves that skinny. So why should they bother catering to a larger spectrum of women when there will be no one buying it? This is why "plus size" in the fashion industry is so different to what we would consider plus size, because as far as their customer base goes, a UK 12 IS plus size.

I'm not saying that makes it right, I'm just saying that's the way things are.

There has been a huge backlash against skinny being the "ideal" in recent years but in a way I think this has made things worse. It is suddenly trendy to be "curvy" and I see a lot of magazines and celebrities talking about being curvy accompanied by photos of women or celebrities who are probably a UK 8. This I think is particularly damaging, because personally if I was 15 years old again and looking at those magazines I'd be thinking "this woman is half my size and she's considered plus size...then what the HELL I am??!"

Clothing sizes make so little sense these days that the best thing you can do is to completely ignore it and just buy clothes that fit you. As we as a nation (and as a western civilisation as a whole) continue to have expanding waistlines our clothing sizes are expanding (what was a UK 14 20 years ago is a LOT smaller than what it is today) there is going to be more and more of a gap and more and more confusion over what is plus size and what isn't. Personally I think plus size is just a term to be avoided.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow I though Plus Sizes were 12 and up!!!! a size 8 is crazy.

I would never consider a size 12 as plus size!
  • agwilker
    agwilker Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    That reminds me of the episode of the last season of Project Runway, Olivier (I think?) had to design for a "real woman" aka not a model and he was freaking out because he didn't enjoy making larger clothes. I think the girl looked between an 8-12, not overweight, just average.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I get more annoyed that there is a "plus size"!! why put a label on people who god made big and beautiful? Just make clothes and leave it be!!! women are women, I don't need a plus label! but that is just me!

I agree!

We are what we are.........until we change ;)

I have been a PLUS SIZE woman for quite some time - I am proud of myself, I am healthy, I am beautiful!

I am losing weight, and do plan to be a smaller size in the near future. That does not make be better than anyone else.......it just makes me WHO I AM!

I probably won't get to a size 8, and it's not a goal of mine!!!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options

HEY LOVEBEE!

another Viking fan, I see?

So, will they stay in Minny? Will we get a stadium?

oh, gee, this is another whole thread, huh??
  • Booboo78
    Booboo78 Posts: 169
    Options
    I would have thought size 16 (UK size - equivalent to size 14 in the US) was considered Plus Size.