Exercise when sick?

Options
Do you exercise when you are not very well? I've got a stinking cold, and all I want to do is go to bed. But I feel so guilty for not going to the gym... I feel like it will slow my progress down or stop it completely... Advice???

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    If you are contagious, stay out of the gym as a courtesy to other members.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Your body needs all of its energy right now to fight off the illness- I would conserve energy for that and not worry about working out. I hope you feel better soon!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    Rest. Drink fluids......lots of them. Stay away from the gym. I don't want whatever you've got. :flowerforyou:
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    This is a good point, havent thought of that... Think I'll wait until I'm better... :sick:
  • starboardzor
    Options

This is a good point. But also, don't work out while you're sick. People get this idea in their head if they take a couple days off they'll lose all progress. I know, because I used to think that way. You won't.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've alawys stuck to the principle that if it's just a slight head cold, it's fine to work out. But if it's below your neck (ie, the cold has moved to your chest, or you have flu-like symptoms), rest up.

It's always important to listen to your body, though - sometimes sweating it out is helpful and can get rid of it, but if you're really feeling like poop, just stay home and let your body heal itself.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    If I think I am coming down with a cold, then I go (otherwise known as "kill or cure"). On such occassions, sweating it out is advisable. If beyond that point, stay away and eat & drink well (another old wife's tale "feed a cold, starve a feaver").
  • fitgirl4life
    fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've just gotten over a rotten cold myself. The first week I had it, I went to the gym twice and pushed through.

The second week, I got even more sick, and even came down with a fever. I was kicking myself for pushing my body when I should have been resting!

It took me another week of total rest to get back to normal.

I learned my lesson: if I'm feeling run down and with cold, I rest rest rest. Pushing yourself only makes things worse.

Oh and the 2 weeks I had off didn't make any difference on the scale, and within 2 gym sessions I was right back where I left off
  • SAC0O3
    SAC0O3 Posts: 95
    Options
    I was ill yesterday (fever of 102). I was an idiot and tried to do kickboxing and had to stop five minutes in since I thought I might "get sick". If anything I only got worse. I ended up having to have hubby come home and watch the baby while I slept. No way I could of worked out! Even if I wanted to. I make sure I am -400 calories each day, so even though I didn't work out, I just adjusted how much I ate to less than days I did work out so that day wasn't a total waste.
    I worked out today and was still weak even though I feel fine and don't have a fever. I was only able to work out half as hard/good as usual. I think it really just depends on your body and how sick you are.

Good luck