Underweight Kid - Ideas?

Options
Hey people! I'm looking for some suggestions, please:

My six year old son is underweight. He also has Ehlers-Danlos which makes it hard for him to develop muscle mass. To further complicate weight gain he doesn't like most meat and has had an iron deficiency since he was tested at 2 years old. He takes a supplement. (He's well taken care of by his paediatrician and has been tested for every possible disease related to his symptoms - no medical advice necessary).

What I am looking for are suggestions of calorie-dense, high-healthy fat foods that I can send in his lunch for school. At home he eats peanut butter and assorted nuts but I can't send those to school. I'm worried about how little protein he's eating during school hours. Right now I send a container of shelled sunflower seeds and raisins every day but he's getting tired of them. He also takes a whole wheat tortilla with shredded cheese every day.

Any suggestions welcome!

Replies

• christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Tuna
    Protein shakes
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Potatos, Pasta, Breads,

Can you get him into meat? Turkey meat would be nice. I got my sons eating burgers. Make them fun
    Maybe make mac and cheese and put some heavy items in it? Potato/Turkey Meat. Grinded up.

Burgers come to mind.

Make him shakes. Use whole milk as the main base of the shake. Then add in tons of cals!
    Also mysons drink those. If they are having a bad week my wife puts them in a shake. TONS OF CALS
    I believe my 2 yr old is diesel from it!

Good Luck and Sorry
  • FoxCarter
    FoxCarter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Pediasure would be a good option for him. I had my daughter on it for awhile when she was young because she was so small.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    They didn't have you see a nutritionist also? That would be the best person to ask.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I would think milk would be the best one.
    no shake per say. I mean you don't need protein added just use milk
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    WHy can't you send nuts to school? Is it a school policy because of allergies?
  • Sherie13
    Sherie13 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What about milk shakes with a bit of protein powder in a thermos? Does he like avocado? Could send a little chips and Guac with him to school.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    My brother used to take ensure because he was really underweight. It helped a lot! Good luck with your son!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Can't send to school because of potential peanut allergies? Growing up peanut butter bananas were my favorite. I'm 26 and I'll still eat them if I'm having a rough day.

Have you thought about putting avocado in his tortillas? Drizziling the inside of the tortilla with olive oil? Using different kinds of cheese/more cheese?

You could try adding bean-type dishes, they can be very calorically dense.

You say he doesn't like most meats, what meats does he like?

I am not by any means a nutritionist, I would strongly suggest meeting with one.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    My daughter has always been underweight, we do lots of avocado, and pasta, shes still not gaining like the docs want her too, but shes healthy and eats well....
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    We have friends with a similar (but different) challenge -- whole milk, full fat everything, butter the bread before putting peanut butter on it or when making a sandwich.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    They make something called soy nut butter (http://www.soynutbutter.com/) In my grocery store its sold near the peanut butter. They might let him take that to school, since its peanut free and allergy safe. Its pretty close in taste and consistency to peanut butter.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    String cheese, hard boiled eggs, pepitas, sprouted grain bread. My son was underweight, too and wouldn't eat any meat ever. He ate lots and lots of cheese and it didn't seem to hurt him. I didn't worry about it and he is now 22, still thin, but very healthy.
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My son (age 8) is underweight too, for entirely different reasons. He has high-functioning autism and refuses to eat so many foods because of texture or smell.

Fortunately, we CAN send him to school with peanut butter sandwiches and he likes those. I also send him with string cheese, gogurt, fruit leather, v8 juice, and some sort of crunchy thing he likes like chex mix. Then I usually add a treat of some sort like a doughnut hole or something. I know...not the most nutritious but our Doctor said we just need to get weight on him.

At home, we've been able to add calories by giving him carnation instant breakfast mixed with whole milk. He likes it and it adds vitamins and calories. He probably drinks 3 large glasses of that a day.

Anyway, I'm not sure if any of this helps but I understand your plight. Isn't it weird to be at cross-purposes with the grown-ups trying to lose weight and the kids trying to gain. It takes a lot of will power to stay away from the bad stuff. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    String Cheese wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla. Refried beans are also a good source of protien, that you could put in a tortilla.
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    My son is very thin and tall for his age. We feed him lots of high-calorie but healthy foods: cheese, avocado (my kid eats it straight, but you can put it on sandwiches and stuff), whole milk, full fat plain greek yogurt, hardboiled eggs, butter/olive oil (in moderation), whole grains such as quinoa.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested mac and cheese...I'd add some small ham chunks to it. Also, if you make homemade mac and cheese, use the full-fat cheese, not the 2% kind. You could also have him drink whole milk instead of the lower fat kind.

There is a recipe on the Bisquick box for Ultimate Chicken Fingers. Probably not great for losing weight, but for him, it might be an option. They come out really tender and have good flavor. My kids LOVE them (in fact, they're kind of upset with me because I haven't made them in awhile!).

I agree, though...a trip to a dietitian or nutritionist would be good. They would probably understand his medical condition enough to help you out, too.
  • JenRun1
    JenRun1 Posts: 212
    Options
    I have a similar situation with my 5 year old being underweight. A few ideas our nutritionist gave us are pasta with olive oil. Lots of cheese, turkey and chicken roll ups with cheese, cream cheese and tortilla shells, lots of whole milk, yogurt, icecream, and introducing new foods with every meal.
  • noneya2010
    noneya2010 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    How about some dark chocolate almond butter? It is very delicious, tastes just like peanut butter, only healthier and also is a great "treat". Does his school not allow peanut products? Beef jerky, luna bars. For lunches, maybe a variety of things such as chicken salad sandwiches, "egg" sandwiches (boiled egg mashed with a bit of mayo on bread), tuna salad. My eldest used to just love plain ol' turkey year around! I would bake one and then cut it all up and send meat cause they can eat it cold too.

I've been so fortunate that my little one (5 now) eats anything you put in front of him. He's a huge meat eater -- can eat an entire T-bone steak on his own!! Only I have the opposite problem you do is that he eats waaaay too much and is on the top 95% percentile for weight/height!

Does he or can he eat cheeses? My son loves cheese of any kind - the laughing cow wedges, cheese sticks, cheese on veggies, cottage cheese mixed with fruits or walnuts or berries. How about beans? You could make him some kid-friendly "chili" with corn and an assortment of beans and chicken topped with cheese and some sour cream.

Good luck - that's a tough one.
  • tammihart
    tammihart Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have underweight twin daughters. They eat breakfast everyday but with it I make them milkshakes made with whole milk, ice cream and carnation instant breakfast drink (powder). They take spaghetti Os in a thermos for lunch, not the most healthy thing but they are 14 and won't eat school lunch.